• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development made easy......

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
I recently had an FN rebarreled by our very own <span style="color: #FF6600">bugholes</span> here and set out trying to get a load or two nailed down with her. Me and Hide member <span style="font-weight: bold">deh223</span> struck out to the range for load work up on her and got some decent numbers while we were at the range. I did all my load work-up shooting from bags on the bench, which is common practice for me. Didn't want to sail a round thru the front of the chronograph shooting prone!
smile.gif

For spits-n-grins, I headed down to our departmental range the other day to verify my zero on one of the rounds that was showing promise. I had a scad of 168 Amax's loaded at the generic 2.800" with 44.0gr of Varget on R-P brass with Federal 210's. Mind you, this was a load I had been running in another rifle and the load <span style="font-weight: bold">deh223</span> is running in his Tikka. I hadn't earnestly considered this load (at the OAL they were loaded) to do the best from the FN. Granted, it looked good on the chrono for the rifle, I figured the seating depth wouldn't be optimal as the Amax is jumping about .032".

At any rate, I fired my first three shot string at 100 yards prone, off the bipod with a sand sock. Here was the initial group......

IMAG0077.jpg

Immediately, I thought to myself, "Holy Crap!". I made a slight adjustment, anchored in and sailed three more down range. Here was the outcome of the second volley......

IMAG0076.jpg

Needless to say, I'd have been better off initially trying this load in the FN! This round has been a proven load in four different rifles and dare say the fifth one I have shot it thru likes it just as well.

In short, this is the easiest load development I have had to date. I think it's a keeper!
wink.gif

Re: Load development made easy......

That's all well and dandy...... BUT!!!

There'll be no more trips to the range to

"Just tweek the powder a little"
"Maybe another 20thou from the lands"
"Is the bedding doing somethin' squirly"
"What 'bout 175's instead"
And all the other shooters book pages of paranoia

Bugger!! I'd say you've got that one nailed right there mate, so it's all down hill from here then........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratwhiskers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's all well and dandy...... BUT!!!

There'll be no more trips to the range to

"Just tweek the powder a little"
"Maybe another 20thou from the lands"
"Is the bedding doing somethin' squirly"
"What 'bout 175's instead"
And all the other shooters book pages of paranoia

Bugger!! I'd say you've got that one nailed right there mate, so it's all down hill from here then........ </div></div>

I LOL'ed as its all true.

I agree. Some of us expect the process to be long and tedious; and when it isn't, we're disappointed and/or dismayed for some ungodly reason.

Messin' with success is counterproductive.

Same load, same experience with my 700 5R. Moved up to 175 SMKs with same result- first load was near perfect.

Sort of a letdown..............