• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development Method N135 and 52 Berger Target 223

Doom

Balding Eagle
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
South of the Mason Dixon Line.
I normally use Dan Newberry’s OCW method and have been happy with the results. I recently tried a test but unfortunately had a 25 mph crosswind and the results were inconclusive. I have read where some advocate picking a charge and varying seating depth to find a load. I think this might be a good time to try that method.

What range of seating depth and increment are recommended for this approach? My original test was CBTO of 1.871” which was set for a COAL of +/-2.260” which puts me somewhere between.040” and .050” of the lands. I am not limited to 2.26” COAL.

Adjusting seating depth isn't usually in lieu of charge weight testing. If you're convinced you can keep acceptable SD and ES with the charge weight you pick, then sure, pick the charge that gets you the speed you want.

For seating depth testing, most will point you to Erik Cortina's "Chasing the lands is stupid" Pt1 & 2 videos on youtube. Berger also has a sample test on their website using 15k jumps, but that is more aimed at their VLD bullet line.

I've had good luck with the 52 FBT at around 2,25" OAL, and even a little shorter.

Reactions: Wisconsinner