• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development Opinions

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
As the title states, I am looking for opinions on my load development results from this weekend. Before starting development I put about 180 rounds of FGMM 77gr and Norma Match 77gr through it and both shot well, averaging around 1/2 MOA.

For my load development I used virgin lapua brass, 75 ELD-M bullets, varget and CCI #400's. The virgin brass was run through an expander die to leave approximately .002" neck tension. Then it was trimmed to 1.750" (some were under, and were not trimmed), then chamfered/deburred. I charged from 23.0gr to 25.1gr in 0.3gr increments, and loaded the bullets to a COAL of 2.410" which is roughly .020" off the lands in my chamber.

Here are the results. Each group is 3 shots, fired from 100 yards. I included each groups velocity AVG, ES and SD.

sSRECh2.jpg

I think my next step will be to explore further around 24.5-24.8gr, but I am curious as to others' opinions. I am a bit disappointed to see such high ES and SD with some of the groups, as I was regularly achieving mid single digit SD's with my 308 hand loads. I am not overly concerned though because I think it might be partially due to the virgin brass and the clean necks which I think can contributes to inconsistent bullet release. The node around 24.5gr seems promising as it is pretty much where I want to be with velocity right around 2800, and was clearly accurate.

As for pressure signs, I didn't notice much of anything through the work up. Primers were flattened a bit even from 23.0gr but I think this may be partially caused by the virgin brass being a bit loose in my chamber and the fact that some of the primers were a few thou proud of the case head (should have uniformed the pockets first, but will do so next loading). I will keep an eye on that, but other than that I didn't notice anything, all loads extracted easily and there were no swipes or other marks on the brass. I did have one additional round that was loaded to 25.4gr that isn't shown in the picture. Its velocity was near 2900 and again, no real apparent pressure signs. Also noted, charge weights 23.3gr and up were all compressed loads at this COAL. There were loaded with a standard funnel, and I am going to try with an extended drop tube to see if I can reduce the compression a bit.

Let me know what you guys think, what your opinions are for the next stage of development, etc. Thank you.

Last edited:
Don’t be afraid to try shorter oal’s, get some H4895 to create more room in the case, lube the inside of the neck with imperial graphite.

Don’t be afraid to try shorter oal’s, get some H4895 to create more room in the case, lube the inside of the neck with imperial graphite.

What is your reasoning behind trying short lengths? I plan on doing a seating depth analysis after I have fine tuned and determined my powder charge.

I have a bunch of varget right now that I'd like to be able to use up, I am hoping I can get the ES and SD's down to respectable levels once I am working with some fire formed brass. And yes, once the cases are sized, I will have some remaining powder residue and lube inside the necks that should help with bullet release.

My SD's got lower the on the second firing with my .223 using the same components as you. I switched to CCI 450s after some cratering with the 400s. I ended up with a load at 2933 with single digit SD's with Varget. I am not locked down with Varget and I picked up a lb of 4895 to play with. 4895 and Varget look the same size to me, so not sure if I will gain anything with the 75 ELDM. I am also playing with the 53 gr V-Max in my 8 twist Tikka. I also have some of the Nammo brass that Powder Valley had in bulk. It is supposed to be made by Lapua and the price was hard to beat. It weighs about 4 grains more than the Lapua, but looks identical.

24.5 up/down in .1 increments until you blow out of that node, so as to know the limits of it.

Go back with seating depth in .003 increments from touching to .040 off.

Tune your ES/SD with primers and use the minimum nk tension that your discipline will allow and see if those don't bring in ES/SD . Ensure your powder/cases are 1000% dry if ss tumbling. If your lot of cases has a huge variation in weight, take 15 cases that have been fired/sized/trimmed that weigh within a .1 grain and do your ES/SD testing with just those 15 cases. Brass prep can assist with ES/SD if the rest of it is there for the benefits to be realized of eeking out the last bit.

I bet if you shoot a ladder at 5-600 you'd see a vertical node in the charge weight range your targeting. An old phone/camera recording Target strikes downrange protected by a cinder block shooting on a shootNc type target, colored magic markers on bullets on white butcher paper, or a buddy in the pits at a kd square range have all worked well for me regarding tracking your impacts at 5-600 for the ladder.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Before starting development I prep'd 50 pieces of lapua brass and this segment only used 25 of them. So I still have 25 pieces of virgin brass that I will use for part 2, and I will load them to 24.3-24.7 in 0.1gr increments (5 rds each increment). After that I will have the fire formed brass to continue development with and will do a seating depth test. Gonna stick it out with the CCI 400's and Varget before I look into other primers/powders.