• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development: The good, the bad & the ugly.

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Ok so I just got done putting this rifle together and started doing a bit of load development. Ultimately, I will develop a 175 gr. load but at this time, in my area, all I can get my hands on are 168 SMK HPBTs. I also had to use Remington 9 1/2 primers as I am out of BR2s. Anyway, here are the specs on the rifle:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, 20" factory Barrel
Leupold MKIV M1 (USO ST10 on order)
Leupold MKIV Medium Rings
EGW 20 MOA Base
B&C Medalist A2 Stock, bedded in Devcon
CDI Precision DBM
Harris BRMS Bipod
Timney Trigger set @ 2 lbs.

I was shooting from prone, the rear of the stock supported with a sandbag. I was extremely careful with each shot, good NPA on each shot, good trigger pull each time, straight behind the gun, slight pre load on the bipod. I expect I'll see improvements with the BR2 primers when I can find them. Right now I'm going to foucs on the 44.5 loading, going up and down .1-.2 grain and trying to refine it a bit more. I will use this load for 600 yards until I develop a 175 gr load.

Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

LoadDev2.jpg

LoadDev1.jpg

Re: Load development: The good, the bad & the ugly.

So far so good, try Varget, it seems to always work well for me.

-X3M

Sounds like and looks like you are off to a good start.

One thing that I recommend is that you keep detailed notes and log your info so that you wont be scratching your head or waisting time the next time you load up a lot or your components change.

having good detailed notes will save you not only time and money but plenty of time trying to second guess wtf is going on.

Here is a link of the data collection sheets i developed for our company to help solve this very issue.

They may be a help to you.
http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Load_Development_s/55.htm

I'm guessing, by the amount of powder your are using, that your shooting a .308??
Also, you did not say what distance you were shooting at. I will guess again, that it's 100yds, correct??
It would help us, to help you, if you were to number the holes so we could look for any grouping issues.
Respectfully,
LG

I have actually had some real tight groups with my 308 in the 42 to 42.5 grain area.