• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development with a Cheap Chronograph

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    Starting load development on my Savage 10 in 6.5cm.
    Specs:
    Savage 10 in a B&C stock - Vortex Razor 4.5-27
    Using 147gr ELD-m at 0.040" off the lands (as a control, and fits in my magpul mags)
    H4350: 39.6-42.4gr (checking for pressure before advancing from 41.7 and up)
    Goal of the rifle: long(er) range steel shooting and possibly coyote hunting. Bring balance to my cartridge lineup and reloading capabilities.

I have the $100 pro chrony chronograph I picked up a year or so ago. Its not the best thing in the world, as i've found out doing load development for my AR over the summer/fall. That being said, theres just no extra room in my budget right now to invest in a different chronograph, so I want to use it to assist me in load development, but also having something else to rely on and try to get this done with as few a rounds as possible.

I have a 100yd range in my backyard, as well as a 500yd range at my family farm 1/4 mile down the road. So I can use distance to my advantage, but obviously want to still incorporate the chronograph to use as verification and data for the loads. But I don't want to rely on it as its burned me a few times trying to rely on it for my AR load development, as thats just been a fickle process lol.

So I was thinking of doing a 2-shot per charge ladder test (8-10 charge weights) at 500yds through the chrono. This way I can use the chrono as assistance and possibly see velocity flat spots if it decides to work somewhat well, but also have the target data at 500 yards to see how each charge strings or prints.

Has anyone used their cheap chrono for load development? and if so how'd you accomplish it? Have you had success at 100yds or would you recommend the 400-500yds?

Has anyone done initial load development at 400-500yds and how did you do it/ how'd it work out? (yes I've watched videos on the satterlee method as well as the 6mmbr.com methods or long range.)

Thanks as always

Get your general speeds with chrony.
    when you get a load that groups well test it for vertical at 500.
    easy peasy

cheap chrony’s usually give usable speed info but often ES/Sd resemble campaign promises.

Has anyone used their cheap chrono for load development? and if so how'd you accomplish it? Have you had success at 100yds or would you recommend the 400-500yds?

You really don't NEED a chronograph to develop a load. Jut reading what you see on paper tells you what works and what doesn't. The chrono is most helpful in determining your consistency with reloading and with getting the right settings on your scope for variations in your long range shooting.

I was doing just fine with my Pro-Chrono until I shot it. It would give me good readings as long as the battery and outside lighting was strong. After I shot mine, I was still able to get it to work, but went out and bought a MagnetoSpeed V3. One day, I set them both up to test and see what kind of difference there might be as I know MagnetoSpeed has been tested to be quite accurate. The results of this little test of mine was that the Pro-Chrono (though it had a grazing shot along the top surface) gave me reading that were close to what I was getting with the MagnetoSpeed. I would not say the Pro-Chrono was as accurate or consistent as the MagnetoSpeed, but I'd say it's plenty close enough for "load development".

As for distance for load development, I often use 100 yds, but I really fell 200 yds produces quicker and more accurate reads on what's going on with the loads.

Reactions: Gustav7
    OCW was designed for 100y.

I shot my magneto speed almost two years ago. I actually lost one, then bought another and shot it. I haven't really missed not having a chronograph. At the end of the day, I care about vertical spreads, not chrono numbers. I can test vertical with no chrono.

I never used chrono for load development. Check speed when you're done.

Reactions: 47guy and Gustav7
    You really don't NEED a chronograph to develop a load. Jut reading what you see on paper tells you what works and what doesn't. The chrono is most helpful in determining your consistency with reloading and with getting the right settings on your scope for variations in your long range shooting.

I was doing just fine with my Pro-Chrono until I shot it. It would give me good readings as long as the battery and outside lighting was strong. After I shot mine, I was still able to get it to work, but went out and bought a MagnetoSpeed V3. One day, I set them both up to test and see what kind of difference there might be as I know MagnetoSpeed has been tested to be quite accurate. The results of this little test of mine was that the Pro-Chrono (though it had a grazing shot along the top surface) gave me reading that were close to what I was getting with the MagnetoSpeed. I would not say the Pro-Chrono was as accurate or consistent as the MagnetoSpeed, but I'd say it's plenty close enough for "load development".

As for distance for load development, I often use 100 yds, but I really fell 200 yds produces quicker and more accurate reads on what's going on with the loads.

Thats a good point. Groups just show more spread at 200 across different charges so its just a little easier to read what the groups are telling you.

Appreciate the input.

I have the same Chrono and I get first round hits at my 8" 500 yard Target using my Chrono speed. Use it and enjoy it. If you find your missing at 500 true your MV in your calculator.. your Chrono will get you close.

Shoot and learn shoot and learn. That's the best part.

I've ways used a cheap chrony. Data on paper will agree with chrony data if chrony is working correctly.