• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Load development with my 6.5 Garfield

Aircraftmech76

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2011
North Central Washington
Just threw a load together tonight to go see how it would shoot. I haven't shot any of the Hornady 140 AMAX's yet, so I loaded up 10 with RL17 and went to the range. It was too dark, and the CED skyscreens couldn't pick up my bullets for chronographing, but the results are promising. I shot the first three shots, including the cold bore shot. I then went downrange and checked the target. I came back, shot two more to make it a five shot group. Went back downrange, checked target, and decided to make it a 10-shot group to check the consistancy of the load. My ammo is loaded on custom-cut Wilson dies. I just need to check how fast they are going.

NadineKrylonLightWoodlandGreen007.jpg

BTW, my 6.5 Garfield is a necked up 25 WSSM, with a Wilson inside neck reamer used to take out the donut. No other changes as far as taper, shoulder angle, etc. The barrel is a straight-taper PacNor 28" built on a small shank Savage BVSS-S single shot action. Trigger is Rifle Basix set at 24 oz. Optics are Bushnell 10X Mildot.

Kevin

Re: Load development with my 6.5 Garfield

I was running the 140 Berger @ 3000 FPS .010" into the lands with a slightly sticky bolt lift. The round looks like a 6.5 PPC on steroids :)

Kevin

Here it is next to a 308 WIN:

65Garfield002.jpg