• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development without trimming meplat

PKT1106

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Wheeling, WV
Hey all - New to the forum, been reading all the topics I can to gain some knowledge, but I have one nagging question. I have been reading alot on trimming meplats and pointing dies. I would like to get a trimmer, but want to develop loads beforehand as well. If I develop a load without trimming the meplat, and it turns out to be great, will I lose anything if I start trimming the meplats down the road? I figure the POI will differ because of the BC change, but will I lose accuracy? I don't think so, but I am just looking for confirmation.

Thank you

Re: Load development without trimming meplat

Its far cheaper and easier to shoot Hornady Amax bullets

Re: Load development without trimming meplat

Trimming meplats is fine-tuning, not a major change. Any slight POI changes can be fixed by adjusting the scope. No biggie. You're not going to see any changes unless everything else is just about perfect and even then you'd have to be shooting at really long ranges.