• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
How many rounds should I put on new barrel before starting load development. In my mind if it shoots factory ammo then I should be about to find a node. I just dont want to waste my time if it is going to change.

I started my load development in the first round out of the gun lol.

Hell 100 rounds your still tweaking loads anyway if your like me.

It might have gained a little speed but nothing too much. By the time I fired 100 rounds I didn’t even have my load completely figured out.

Hell I still don’t and am always tinkering haha.

Every rifle or situation can be different. I've established loads in 25 shots that have held through the barel speedup and were great. I've also developed loads on 5R cut barrels or a proof carbon that never did speed up. I've also developed loads that turned hot after the barrel speed, which I have brought back in by coating bullets, or dropping powder, sometimes it is simple, other times it is a PIA.
Today for the most part I find a load that shoots right off, then finalize after breakin(speedup).
My last build, a Dasher shooting 110's at 2820 with hydro formed brass was a hammer, it sped up 55-60 fps on speed up, still amazing. Then all 300 pcs of brass I put in service were fired, after processing, the load sped up 20 fps, now the load is on the verge of shooting good and faltering, no good. So I start pulling powder to get back to around 2875 fps, that did not work with the powder I'm using, as now I am gassing the shoulders and subsequently the chamber. Adding .3gr of powder to original has me back on track, at around 2925 fps.
It boils down to your preference.

I am going to work up load and see what happens when it speed up. I hope it stays good after the speed up. It's tough for me to get load data during deer season. On the other hand I want to be ready for matches when they start. Ha

I like to run a light load on steel first. This work hardens the heel of the case and the brass gets formed.

Around the 100 - 150 round mark, I do a ladder test at distance. The vertical at the nodes tells me what I need to know. Often I don't even need to do a seating depth test because I use hybrids or other bullets that jump well.