• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Load for 18" GAP

ko1962

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Maryland
Hi All,

I am about to receive a new GAP with an 18 inch Bartlein stainless 5R barrel/1:11.25 twist
smile.gif
-- and am new to reloading. Does anyone have any recommendations for a load(s) that will push 155 Scenars/175 SMK past 2600 with this barrel length? I want to be able to reach out to 1000 yards as accurately as possible understanding the limitations of an 18" pipe. Thanks.

Re: Load for 18" GAP

I'm starting down the same path as you, except I'm running a 20" barrel in 1:12" twist.

I was advised to stay away from 155g Senars because the shorter barrels can't push them fast enough to acheive the best accuracy.

My plan is to test 175g SMKs with 44-45 grains of Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was advised to stay away from 155g Senars because the shorter barrels can't push them fast enough to acheive the best accuracy.

</div></div>

What?

22" Barrel 308 155 Senars Lapua Case, Russian primer 8208 IMR xbr powder OAL 2.855 2920 FPS Elv 8.8 mil at 1000 yds 60F sea level no problem no pressure signs

Thanks for the info and for the thread link. I had searched before I posted but I haven't seen much for a 18" 1:11.25 barrel shooting a 175 SMK accurately (metal targets) to 1000 yards. Most of the loads I have seen for shorter 20-22" barrels use Varget, RL 15, and H4895. Do you think these powders are still optimum in my 18" barrel or is there something better?

Also, I am using new Lapua brass and CCI BR2 primers and I do have some IMR 4895 that I was planning on using for a GAP Crusader with a 22" barrel. Thanks.

Do you really think length of barrel is going to make any difference other then speed?

Speed for sure -- but my understanding is that with a shorter barrel you want a relatively faster powder to get an optimum burn rate through the barrel. If that is just plain ignorant, please forgive me - like I said I am a new to reloading and what little I know is just from reading.

<<optimum burn rate through the barrel>> by that I mean an optimum burn cycle while the bullet is still in the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ko1962</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speed for sure -- but my understanding is that with a shorter barrel you want a relatively faster powder to get an optimum burn rate through the barrel. If that is just plain ignorant, please forgive me - like I said I am a new to reloading and what little I know is just from reading. </div></div>

Your are correct in your understanding.

Varget, RL-15, and maybe even H4895 are all good choices for your shorter barrel.

i tried a bunch to get 155's to shoot good out of my 18" 11.25 twist barrel and could never find something i liked. i tried the 155 scenars and the 155 sierra palmas (2156) and just could not get them to shoot good. they were alright at long range but up close, they were no good for me. entering my come-up data into the jbm calculator, it looked like lapua brass, 210m primer, 45.2 grains of h4895 and a sierra 155 palma (2156) was getting me about 2850 fps in 45-50 degree weather.

last weekend i switched to 44.5 grains of varget and a 175 smk with great results. it shot great out to 1k during practice when the wind was calm. it shot good in the match the next day out to 600 yards but then the wind kicked my ass bad at 800 to 1k yards. again, using my come-up data in jbm, it looks like this load was right at 2600 fps.

after trying hard to get the 155's to shoot good in a short barrel, i gave up. i agree with the person that said you can't get them fast enough to get them in their sweet spot.

I wouldn't go ahead and say it as fact. As with just about everything reloading, what might not work in your gun might work in others. I know of several short (< 20") barreled guns that all they shoot are 155s.

I've got a 20" built on a long action and I'm going to man up and shoot 208's. I figure with the stock remmy chamber I'll be able to seat at 3 inches (ish).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried a bunch to get 155's to shoot good out of my 18" 11.25 twist barrel and could never find something i liked. i tried the 155 scenars and the 155 sierra palmas (2156) and just could not get them to shoot good. they were alright at long range but up close, they were no good for me. entering my come-up data into the jbm calculator, it looked like lapua brass, 210m primer, 45.2 grains of h4895 and a sierra 155 palma (2156) was getting me about 2850 fps in 45-50 degree weather.

last weekend i switched to 44.5 grains of varget and a 175 smk with great results. it shot great out to 1k during practice when the wind was calm. it shot good in the match the next day out to 600 yards but then the wind kicked my ass bad at 800 to 1k yards. again, using my come-up data in jbm, it looks like this load was right at 2600 fps.

after trying hard to get the 155's to shoot good in a short barrel, i gave up. i agree with the person that said you can't get them fast enough to get them in their sweet spot. </div></div>

How is that load on brass? Any pressure signs?

Pollock Pines is a nice place btw, a friend of mine lives there.

i don't know about the brass life yet. i did the 175 load on brass that was fired twice with my 155 load. i haven't found the end of the brass life yet.