• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load for Tikka T3 Tactical 24" 308?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I just picked up a Tikka T3 Tactical 24" in 308. Before I get a bunch of components, I'm looking to see what loads you have found to be accurate. I want to go with a heavier bullet as I do shoot out to 1K on occasion.

Hornady 178 match BTHP?
Hornady 178gr A-Max?
Sierra Matchking 175gr?

I already have Varget and possibly some other powders to try.

I have been reloading for quite some time, so I do know about working up loads. With powder and bullets hard to come by, I just want to narrow the field some.

I have great luck with the Hornady 178 match bullets pushing 2700fps with varget. I shoot 1k just about every weekend with those.

I run the 168 Amax with 44.5 gr Varget and have nearly 4 k through the rifle and it has doen very well for me

Sounds good. In my 26" 1:12 R700 I used to run a 178 A-Max over 44gr Varget and got right around 2690fps. This was my 1K load and also shot under MOA at 200 yrds.

Now it's time to find more Varget and not pay $45/#1

It is for sure a crazy time on powder and components. I will be driving an hour today to pick up powder and it hurts the $$$$
Sounds good. In my 26" 1:12 R700 I used to run a 178 A-Max over 44gr Varget and got right around 2690fps. This was my 1K load and also shot under MOA at 200 yrds.

Now it's time to find more Varget and not pay $45/#1

yeah I'm having good luck with hornady 178's pushing with 45grs of varget with lake city LR brass. Runs great no over pressure. Of course finding varget is like striking gold right now.

that's not out of a tikka factory barrel though. Im running a rock creek #7 5r 10 twist 22" over all length.

I am also doing a long range work up using Hornady 178gr ELD March Bullets. I’ve been delayed as I ran out of Varget. Found this bad boy two miles from my house on Sat? Needless to say I was ecstatic
C94CFEB4-F2C6-45A8-B2E5-1FDB99AFF2E1.jpeg

When I first started using Varget, Hornady stated 43.2 gr as the max load. Hodgdon lists 45 gr. Anyone know why the big difference?

Hodgdon load data is with Winchester brass and hornadys is with hornady brass. Different internal case capacity’s.
I've been tinkering with both winchester brass and starline. I've also been pondering using Lapua since everyone raves about it. Haven't really had too many issues so far. Would hate to overload the starline. I've loaded a work up and will look for over pressure signs as I go.