• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load recommendation

Sparky308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2023
Northeast
Hello all. First post here! I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS in 308 win with a 24 in barrel. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a load that works for them as a starting point. Obviously I will work up any load. Start at min. I have 178 gr ELD-M and X’s, 168 gr Sierra MK HPBT, Nosler 165gr BT’s, and Hornady 155 gr Match BTHP. Just looking for a starting point based on what has worked others.

Reactions: simonp
Get your powders and primers in order, get a couple manuals and just load up 15-20 rounds of each charge rate and then go shoot them for groups and fine tune things.

Remember to change only one variable at a time and use similar brass with the same headstamp.

If you're not testing at 800-1000 yards, I'd start with the 168gr MKs, as they're an inherently accurate bullet across many, many platforms.

Chris

Hello all. First post here! I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS in 308 win with a 24 in barrel. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a load that works for them as a starting point. Obviously I will work up any load. Start at min. I have 178 gr ELD-M and X’s, 168 gr Sierra MK HPBT, Nosler 165gr BT’s, and Hornady 155 gr Match BTHP. Just looking for a starting point based on what has worked others.

What powder to you have?
What brass?
Do you have neither and are you looking for recommendations?
What bullet do you have the most of?
What's the purpose of the rifle?

Settle on a powder and brass (Lapua if you don't already have some), then you should get a reloading manual or go to powder/bullet manufacturers and get their loading data. Start relatively low in a published range for the powder/bullet combo and do some ladders, stopping when you either hit the top of the recommended range or you hit pressure signs.

@ChrisGarrett I have a few manuals but just like to ask around what has worked for others.

@Rocketmandb I have IMR-4064, Varget, BL(C)-2, H335
Primers- S&B LR, federal gold match LR, and a few CCI.
Using only Lake City brass at the moment. I used to use federal but found it was too soft. The primer pockets weren’t lasting past 5/6 loads. I have a few manuals and a load worked up for my LR-308 but just like to see what has worked well for others.

@ChrisGarrett I have a few manuals but just like to ask around what has worked for others.

@Rocketmandb I have IMR-4064, Varget, BL(C)-2, H335
Primers- S&B LR, federal gold match LR, and a few CCI.
Using only Lake City brass at the moment. I used to use federal but found it was too soft. The primer pockets weren’t lasting past 5/6 loads. I have a few manuals and a load worked up for my LR-308 but just like to see what has worked well for others.

You have proper powders and GMM primers, so in my opinion, I’d just go with the latter and the 168s and just see what you see.

Reloading is an inherently ‘learning process.’

Chris

I thought 44-45 grains of Varget and a 175 SMK was like the universal win button for .308?

I don’t have one but always remember that load for some reason.

Reactions: R_A_W and simonp
N540, Lapua large rifle primer brass with CCI Benchrest primers worked outstanding for me through a wide variety of temperatures. 44grs N540 (start lower)with Hornady 168 BTHP is my go to for anything 200yrds and up. I used Berger 150 flat base match bullets with H380 to shoot ragged holes at 100yrds(really fun). Varget worked pretty well for 168’s as well. All these groups are the N540/168gr combo. The one with a match book was shot at 400yrds over a windy ravine near Prescott AZ, off a bi-pod and shooting mat. The last 3-shot was so cool I stopped shooting the group.They are pretty much representative of that sweet spot my rifle likes. It’s nothing fancy just a factory Winchester model 70 Stealth with a Timney trigger. I like Wilson dies with bushings and use an arbor press micrometer seater. The charges were just thrown from an older Redding. I did pickup a 21st century priming tool which I feel helps some. Have fun out there, learn a lot then throw a match barrel on later and prepare to be spoiled! Cheers 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: