• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load suggestions, model 70 223?

Jellyroll22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2009
Richland Michigan
An uncle gave me a Win model 70. It is post 64 and has a bull barrel with 1 in 12. The barrel is marked .222, but it was rechambered for 223. It does chamber a factory 223 round. It has a pretty good trigger and the bore looks good. I was thinking of making up a BUNCH of rounds for a Pdog shoot in SD. I have a virtually unlimited supply of once fired Rem brass...Any suggestions on loads?

Re: Load suggestions, model 70 223?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At some point I'm going to stop posting these links. A little more looking on the site will get you plenty.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=29&page=1 </div></div>

Chad, sorry to have wasted your time. I read the entire .223/5.56 section that you linked to BEFORE I posted this question. The reason I posted it is because 1 in 12 is only mentioned 2 times in the whole thread.

I would like to use any bullet acceptable for varmints. I assume it would be on the ligher end of the scale due to the slow twist. Obviously everyone's favorite load for their 75 grainers isn't going to help me much with this rifle. I am thinking 40 to maybe as high as 55 gr. Thanks

With say a Nosler 50 or 55gr bullet. I have hade good luck with 24gr of RL 10. Varget is also a good powder to try. If you want a powder that meters well H-335 is also a good one to try. You will have to figure out whitch one your gun likes. But those are the ones i start with for the light bullets

In the 50 -55 gr bullet range, you could also try AA2230. I had great luck with it and 52 gr sierras. 2230 is a ball powder, so it meters well. With the lighter bullets, I'd stick with ball powders for ease of metering if you're loading progressive. You can crank out a lot of consistent rounds.

The 1:12 is going to keep you in the low weight end of the 223 bullet selection range. With luck you might be able to shoot 60 grains, but look in the 50-55 range for a good bullet first.

I have had good luck with Win 748 with bullets between 40-52grs in several rifles, Rem or Win cases, most of the time between 26-27grs.

Jelly,
A buddy of mine loads 223. He uses a Hornady SPSX 55 grain with Win 748. Does great job on 'yotes.
I hear Varget and VV powders work well. Varget is not so temp sensitive.

SOTA

Thanks guys. I finally found some Varget and I have some "dogtown" bullets on backorder through midway. We'll see what happens.