• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Work up 95 gr berger VLD Jumping

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    Hello,

Back story, the berger 105's arnt shipping for another 2 months. Having a couple matches come up I bought a small pile of 95's.

Problem: my throat is long for 105's. I don't have enough bullet of the 95's seated in the case to touch the lands, let alone jam them. So I am working up a load jumping them.

I first picked a jump (060) to start with and loaded up for pressure. I used both N135 and N140. The N135 hit pressure before I could get decent velocity. the 140 I was able to hit pressure at roughly 100 fps more velocity. (both pressures signs I stopped at showed slight flat primer with mild ejector swipe.

I hate pressure, so I picked dropped 5% powder and did 3 charges in .2 increments. I also picked the best node there and started jumping the bullet 070-080-090-100

All rounds shot round robin. I didn't watch mirage just sent them. Looking at vertical here.

(NOT TELLING LOAD - ALL RIFLES ARE DIFFERENT WORK UP ACCORDINGLY)

RIFLE:
    Kelbly Atlas Short Action and Stock
    Brux 26" barrel
    Area 419 brake
    Lapua Brass
    BixNAndy trigger
    Ckye-Pod Bipod
    SCOPE
    Burris XTR2 4-20 with H59 rect.

PIC OF TARGET @ 300 yards
    top 3 targets going right to left (all jumped 060) 5 nd groups
    xx.00-xx.20-xx.40

middle row right to left at (powder xx.20) 4 rnd groups
    jumped 070-080-090-100

The 060 jump all had right at 1" vertical. nice and happy. then the 70-100 all had right at 2"-3" vertical. I was surprised that the vertical doubled that fast going from 60 jump to 70+

kelbly-1-jpg.1044971

95-1-jpg.1044973

I have a match this weekend and Im now nervous. Tomor I will try jumping again from 40-50-60 and maybe try one at 120. I think I found a good node at 060 but I want to have a node at the FRONT of a jump range not at the BACK so I don't have to worry as much about following the lands, I can let throat wear move the jump into a sweet spot if that makes sense.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
    How much min bullet should I make sure is seated? Ive heard both bullet dia and at least half bullet dia.

Anyone else have any luck jumping this bullet?

Regards,
    DT

How much bullet in the neck? The answer is however much you find shoots best
    1523291931821.png

I dont see much issue with posting powder amount details when you dont post the chambering.
    Personally I probably wouldnt have chosen a vld if I cant reach the lands with it, I know they say to test in .040 increments but I always see people shooting them best right up on the lands. A hybrid would have been more forgiving.

If you are in a hurry and cant do any more developing I would probably go for the top middle, .060 jump and xx.20 of powder.

One question: were you having to squeeze your rear bag exceedingly far to make height? I have found that when I pinch too much I lose my foundation and Im not consistent enough in my squeezing and introducing vertical.

Last edited:
    Follow Berger's method? They say jump nodes are pretty wide. You might be too narrow? I see reports of some guns liking A LOT of jump.

Wow that pic is an insanely little amount of bullet in case. Crazy, I bet the runout is insane if you even look at it wrong ha.
    and I have 7k hybrids on order...hence the problem of finding a bullet. As I think the 95's are an optimal bullet for the 6br, I am hoping they do amazing. Last match my sierra 107s were finicky at LR and I have some RDF's to try. I just prefer the consistency of bergers.

I used a sand bag from Short Action Precision for rear rest and usually had to beat it down. I was excessive on this pt as every shot I saw the rifle jump up. Only reason not too concerned is that the groups right before this I had 1" of vert at 300.

I did read up on bergers method. Was just hoping for a starting point instead of shooting 50 rnds looking for a node. Bullets usually perform very similar in rifles...crazy how few actually jump the VLD's tho. Also, I wanted to keep as close to lands as possible, that's why I started picked 60-100...

SO went back to the drawing board, loaded up jump from 040-050-060 then continued at 120-130. My ver first shot at 040 was over inch from the group opening it up to moa, the 050 group was phonominal. The 060 group was under half moa again. The 120 group was most interesting and I wish I had more time to test. It had 0 vertical but was half moa wide. The 130 was a cluster right at half moa. After this match I may try some at 110-130 again, against 050 (what I decided to go with) and check SD's.

I am leaving for the WY NRL match tomor morning. Hope it goes well.

DT

Good luck at the match. Interesting that you had horizontal dispersion with no vertical. I bet there is something hiding around 120 or lower.

Pic of target showing jumping at 225 yards. Bullet shoots for sure. left target is 040 jump. only did 1-3 shot group at 050 jump
    third target is 060 jump
    last target has 120 on top and 130 on bottom. I pulled the last shot on the top right group

Didn't chrono the ammo but I knew window of velocity would be in the 3100 range. I picked 050 for jump. The SD was 3.3 for the first 6 shots out of the rifle. Velocity was 3120.

I shot the match. Had a rough first day and was 32nd out of 75. I didn't know what was going on, but the next day there was a moving target at 550 yards I had a 2" group on the very bottom edge. After that I brought up all my data .2 mils and climbed back into a tie for 10th on the second day.

I think Im going to explore the 120 node before the next match...even tho Im hesitant to change anything after a top 10.

DT

Attachments

• 95 250.jpg
      95 250.jpg
      899.2 KB · Views: 54
    Last edited:
    300 yards (ignore the pistol shots on right.

Top 3 were leftover rounds from last match jumped 050 (3-3x group)

bottom row: jumped 110 (1-5x group) - 120 (2-4x groups) - 130 (1-5x group)

Again the vertical, other than maybe one shot (LC group on bottom) show very little vertical. I had a stiff tail wind and sand was getting in my eyes. I may have threw a shot in that group on LC. Im flying out to WA for the NRL match in 3 days. I cant decide to leave at 050 (on top row the groups got better as I progressed L-R) OR Im def leaning towards trying a jump load. They have been great across the board from 110-130. I think Ill jump 120 and let it ride. Will post how the load does after next match. ha.

Reagrds,
    95 3.jpg

DT

Rifle shot amazing. Took 12th out of nearly 150. If anyone looking to shoot this bullet, start jumping at 110-130 and youll hit a node for sure.

DT

Nice, have you played with the Sierra 95gr TMK's at all - seem like they would he more jump tolerant. Just throwing my first BR together so looking at options - rifle will be throated for 105 Hybrids but no telling when they'll be on shelves here in Australia - could be a long wait.

Havnt tried the TMK's. I was about to pull the trigger and another website had 95's on sale so I jumped on those. The TMK's have a great BC tho would love to try them but this bullet is shooting so stinking good...

DT

Reactions: BallisticPrimate