• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Load work up at indoor range???

BravoXray

Odark30
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Maryland
So I wanted to work up a load and I have been toying with the idea of going to the new fancy indoor range just built in my area. One of these "guntry clubs" which has a 100 yard indoor range with target cameras and will let you fire anything up to 300win.
I've been weighing the pros and cons such as the ridiculous price of 50.00 per hour Vs being able to do load work up without worrying about the crappy weather.
But then there is also the issue of wanting to shoot suppressed because its indoors vs not being able to use magneto speed with a can to get speeds. Then with the camera I could actually do a ladder test without having to wait for the range to go cold or walking down range!!!

My goal would be to get unbiased test (less biased) results without worrying about variables such as extreme temp and/or wind so I can actually see what loads work.
(That and to see what the hell a "guntry" club actually looks like on the inside)

What I really want to throw out to any of you guys with experience on this, is it recommended to load test indoor vs outdoors? Would it give skewed results?

Well for one, the lighting in indoor ranges is not the same as outdoors and your zero can shift between the two. For two, you're not going to be able to tell anything from a 100yd ladder test.

That said, it is a good way to get no-BS groups that you can't blame on gusty wind or mirage.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Agree with the comments above. We have a 100 yard tunnel here. Luckily only $20 (you get an hour if people are waiting and more if no one behind you) I like doing load dev there. No wind and nice and warm this time of year. I always shoot suppressed so that is not an issue for me.

When I do first stage load development, the primary focus is finding the MV node and high pressure limits. Sometime when I want to do the session quicker, I don't set a target, just shoot into the berm to get the MV data.
So for first stage development the fancy range would be comfortable, but not really needed.
When doing node refinement (secondary development), I usually set a target to see what the groups are doing around the MV Node. In this stage, I would like to have minimal external influences and the fancy range would be nice. Additionally, if you shoot the first stage development outside, and second stage inside, you will be able to determine and define if there is a Temperature Effect for the powder used.
After Load Development, I do accuracy development by adjusting jump to find the best precision load. In this stage it would be particularly nice to have no external influences.
You are lucky to have that range available. I wish that were available around me.
Happy Loading

Im sure it would work just fine, that 50 bucks per hour would be a deal breaker for me though. But heck, paying to shoot at all is a deal breaker for me except for the 2-3 comps I shoot a year.

Well, went to the new range and tested the load I wanted to work on. The lighting wasnt an issue and the target camera helped tremendously. Next week I'll go to my regular outdoor range and test it at distance.
The convenience of doing the testing and not worrying about the rain or wind that hit us was great but balanced out against shooting against the clock. At $50 there was no way I going over time. With that being said I didnt do the round robin method and waiting for the barrel to cool too much between shots. Also, the first two loads I shot provided very little data because I was anxious and rushing and pulled a few shots.
I must admit this new range with all its amenities was nice but I'll probably only go there to do testing in bad weather.

On a side note I also got a chance to fire some subsonic 175s I got from Defender Ammo a while back. I can honestly say with a can on, the loudest sound was hearing the impact 100 yards down range against the indoor backdrop. I could honestly shoot with no ear pro if I wanted. I may go back next month just to fire some more..lol

I'd like to see pics of this place. It is a bit pricey, but it sounds pretty cool.

Wonder if it gets any cheaper if you become a member?

Didn't take any pictures but here's a link to their FB Guntry Club.

Yes, the facility I awesome. As for it being cheaper to become a member. They have several different membership tiers. The cheapest membership option I'm aware of is 49.00 monthly/ 560.00 annually. Also if I remember from conversation with an RO their you have to do an annual contract and are billed/debited monthly.

Additionally, there is an initiation fee and you still would have to pay 10.00/hr to use the 100-yard range.

So for my situation, membership isn't the best option. For about 229.00 I can get a membership at Frontline Defense and be in shooter's heaven. ( UK distance ranges, 1,000 yards, pistol, etc)

But it is a great range maybe they will rethink pricing sometime in the future.

Last edited: