• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Work Up New Brass

JsnSanko

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Do you get good work up data out of brand new brass? Just am wondering if it’s worth the time to do all the details to do an OCW or ladder test off of brand new brass, or just load and shoot it using off powered and bullets before using the good stuff. Form the chamber and then bump 0.002 to start load development.

Have always mainly bought ammo really until the shortnesses recently. The lack of ammo has had me blow off the dust of my reloading equipment and start loading again. Never really loaded for precision before because factory ammo rally has gotten that good on both the match and hunting offerings.

Thanks.

It just depends on too much, generally new/fired will be in the same ball park, just not in the same seat.

I do enough development so that its not crap for a couple hundred rounds. Then I get into the nitty gritty.

Do you get good work up data out of brand new brass? Just am wondering if it’s worth the time to do all the details to do an OCW or ladder test off of brand new brass, or just load and shoot it using off powered and bullets before using the good stuff. Form the chamber and then bump 0.002 to start load development.

Have always mainly bought ammo really until the shortnesses recently. The lack of ammo has had me blow off the dust of my reloading equipment and start loading again. Never really loaded for precision before because factory ammo rally has gotten that good on both the match and hunting offerings.

Thanks.

I can depend on just whose new brass you're using and to what extent you go for precision loads. If you're using quality brass like Lapua, there's not much you need to do; though for Lapua I will size the neck with a collet die to make sure they're round and smoothed out a little to get the neck tension where I want it. Then, until they're fire formed where case volume it more consistent, I don't have high expectations, though some level of load development can be done where things like what powder load might work can be narrowed down some.

I can depend on just whose new brass you're using and to what extent you go for precision loads. If you're using quality brass like Lapua, there's not much you need to do; though for Lapua I will size the neck with a collet die to make sure they're round and smoothed out a little to get the neck tension where I want it. Then, until they're fire formed where case volume it more consistent, I don't have high expectations, though some level of load development can be done where things like what powder load might work can be narrowed down some.

So it’s been a couple years since I got set up for reloading. I bought 200 pieces of 6.5CM Hornady brass. Circa 2012. Never used them because the rifle really like 140 A-Max and it shit really well. Box said 41.5 gr H4350. Thats above book volume #9 of Hornady book and top of book for #10z

I have the fired brass from the match ammo saved and measure for notes. Have measured and plan was to start with all the same measurements of the factory ammo. Start below by 2 grains and work up in 0.4gr. Same base to the ogive. Find where it likes. Then work on length. Rifle is a Savage 112 Predator. With the 140 AMAX it shoots 5 into a 1/2” when I do my part.

So it’s been a couple years since I got set up for reloading. I bought 200 pieces of 6.5CM Hornady brass. Circa 2012. Never used them because the rifle really like 140 A-Max and it shit really well. Box said 41.5 gr H4350. Thats above book volume #9 of Hornady book and top of book for #10z

I have the fired brass from the match ammo saved and measure for notes. Have measured and plan was to start with all the same measurements of the factory ammo. Start below by 2 grains and work up in 0.4gr. Same base to the ogive. Find where it likes. Then work on length. Rifle is a Savage 112 Predator. With the 140 AMAX it shoots 5 into a 1/2” when I do my part.

In talking with several people at the ranges where I practice, as I recall, there were a few who use this combination of powder (including that weight of 41.5 grs) with the 140 A-Max and got great results with their 6.5CM.

ive noted my once fired Lapua brass is still barely stretched the shoulder. Started new shoulder around SAAMI minimum. Bumping it .002 takes it back to the minimum.
Not going to bother testing bullet jump yet with such short cases...

And 41.5 H4350 is my best load for 140gr 6.5CM. Your barrel may vary.