• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Workup w/ one powder & bullet UPDATE w/ PICS

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I have a fairly good supply of H4895 and 168gr Hornady Match bullets, and I am curious what the most efficient way is to work up a load with the components. The gun is a Savage 10FP .308 with 24" barrel, and I have actually done a ladder test with the aforementioned items in this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1088664&page=1

What would be the best way to go with this gun/load combination? Thanks!

Re: Working up a load with one powder/bullet

my SOP goes like this. seat to the lands (or mag length, whichever is less), and load up from 10% reduced loads until i see pressure signs i'm comfortable running. if the gun likes that, that concludes load development.

Hi Jason,

You could run the test again and confirm results.It's best to do a ladder test at 300Y on a calm day so the group is spread out more.Or pick load#5-6 and start with seating the bullet at max mag length and work back 5 thou at a time until it shoots best.Then go in and out 2 thou and pick the best and your done.Don't get hung up on trying to get everything perfect.Remember you are shooting to have fun!

Probably the most important brass prep is deburring flash holes.Doesn't take to long and helps with consistent ignition.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the info. All the brass I am using has been trimmed, pockets cleaned, and the flash holes deburred. I'm loading up 10 rounds of 42.1, and I am going to try 10 more of 43.1gr with the OAL still at 2.800".

Load one round each of slowly increasing powder charge by 0.2 grain, starting at 10% below max. These need to be shot over a chronograph and in order of charge weight. Record the MV and plot on a chart where MV on vertical and charge weight on horizontal. The chart will have various waves to the curve. Pick a part of the curve where it gets flat (i.e. the MV doesn't change much as charge weight increases). This is likely to be an accuracy node. Pick a charge weight in the middle of this flat spot and test it, loading up 20 or so rounds. Check how the accuracy is, what the ES and SD are. Once you have found a load that gives the best accuracy, then play with seating depth to fine-tune it some more. I would start about -10 thou off the lands and play with it either side of this. Often guns like loads seated about 1/10 caliber off the lands (in 30 cal this would be -30 thou). This should save you shooting up all your powder and primers just working up a load.

There's a lot of ways to do this, and my approach is to be somewhat more generous wth the number of test loads I try. I find that about five rounds at each increment do a better job of showing a load's consistency and give a truer indication that is less affected by random outside effects than a lesser quantity.

I don't shoot groups, but one shot per aiming point. I test no more than five different increments at a time, and arrange the aimpoints for each common increment in rows. This way, I can look across the row and see how each increment disperses, and look down the columns to see how the separate increments perform against each other. Shooting more than one shot at an aimpoint can produce confusing results.

I like to start out with the bullet at the max length the loading manual suggests for the specific bullet. I don't experiment with this value until I have a working load, and only then if there is some compelling reason to go outside SAAMI specs. I like to preserve the more generic aspects of handloading, so the ammo can be used across applications if need be.

Over time, I have learned about how load configuration variations affect performance, but that one is truly a long lesson. What I take away from that lesson is that deviating away from SAAMI specs can have good consequences, but it can have bad ones too. Unless there's a need; I find that I do well enough, often very well indeed, when I don't.

Greg

Greg,

Could you post an example of your target, I am having trouble understanding your method?

So you shoot 1 shot per aiming point (5 aiming points ?) in a row. I assume in a horizontal row. Then, IF I understand, you shoot the next increment in the next horizontal row. Does that sound right?

How do you compare after you are completed with the shooting? I assume you want the shot to be in a similar x,y coordinate on the target with each 5 shots. Does one increment usually show up with this testing?

I find your method very interesting.

I loaded up 10rds each of 42.1gr and 43.1gr to shoot today, except I was only able to shoot out to 100 yards. It was very windy today, with gusts in the 15-20mph range. I basically had to shoot in between gusts, and there was never really a time when the wind was calm.

Nevertheless, here are my 5rd groups with each powder charge. Both shot pretty well, but I really won't know until I shoot out to 200 yards in the morning.

Looks like a good start!

GroupsandPackage003.jpg

GroupsandPackage004.jpg