• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load workup?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I finally had a chance to load up a few rounds and try out my new rifle.
I have 2 different bullets for now with more coming.
I have an old box of Sierra MatchKing Palma 155gr bullets and a box of Sierra GameKing 165gr bullets.
Looking through my Hornady book I decided on a charge of 45gr for both. That charge is a starting load for the Palma bullets and about mid-range in charge weight for the GKs.
For a starting load both were very mediocre. Both were around 1". I didn't measure them, but were not a really tight group. This load seemed to favor the heavier GKs.

My question is do I move up and down in .5gr increments or smaller .2gr? I have loaded a LOT more pistol rounds and in the small charge a pistol uses I go with a .2gr increment. The larger charge for a rifle seems to be not as sensitive to change in charge weight.

Jim

Re: Load workup?

shoot a ladder test with each...

.5gr increments... all the way until you hit pressure signs...

You will then know the max for YOUR rifle...

I shoot round robin style.. . 3-5rnds of each load in ,5gr increments on different targets just to get an idea of what the rifle likes...

take the best of the best... & load in .2gr increments around that charge... shoot it again...

let your rifle talk to you.. books are for guidelines...

I also need to determine what powder to use. I have several. I tried RL15 on these but have Varget, IMR4895 and H4895 and H4350.
I also will settle on a bullet weight. I have some Nosler 180gr BTs coming from a trade. I may later, when I find some, get some 168gr and 175gr SMKs.
I guess I really don't like simple. The only constant will be CCI primers and once fired FGGM brass.

Jim

The way things have been going lately I have thought I might take a few rifles out and put my powder and primers in the safe.

Jim