• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loaded my first few

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    Well I started off kinda, frustrated!

I was knocking out primers out of some HSM Winchester brass and snap, the little punch in my Lee Classic Loader kit broke. ( No, big deal, I placed a call to Lee and they mailed me a new one free of charge) I then go to put a primer in and it messes up the brass cause there is some hunk of metal sticking out of the primer seating rod that get caught on the brass .. anyway i was finally able to get 10 loads done. I made 4 rounds 42.5gr, 2 rounds 42.0gr and 4 rounds of 42.5gr with IMR 4064 powder and Sierra 168 hpbt bullets.

I get to test them out this coming Saturday, which just happens to be my BDay.

Re: Loaded my first few

Congrats man, that sounds a lot like my first couple loads. I used a lee loaded to load 140 rounds for my 308 and they all worked out fine.
    Should shoot just fine man. And when you do fire that first batch, its gonna feel sweet.
    Have fun and lets see some pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its gonna feel sweet.</div></div>
    Absolutely. Making things as personal to you as possible always increases satisfaction, especially when there is a science & skill involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have fun and lets see some pics! </div></div>
    x2, that should be an almost perfunctory requirement.

Keep loading, and play around w/ other bullets & powders etc. but keep 'em safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RAWPower</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its gonna feel sweet.</div></div>
    Absolutely. Making things as personal to you as possible always increases satisfaction, especially when there is a science & skill involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have fun and lets see some pics! </div></div>
    x2, that should be an almost perfunctory requirement.

keep 'em safe </div></div>+3 to that.

I would say get a speak loading book if you can man.
    Use this if you cant get your hands on a book.
    http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/Sierra308Win.pdf
    I just got a press and a bunch of stuff, and its awesome man.
    This is my set up
    DSC09959-1.jpg

Just wait, reloading will start to take over your life and thoughts. It opens up a whole new world!

My first rounds were dummies; made under the eyes of my mentor.

The decapped primers can be seated and decapped repeatedly, until the 'feel' becomes an accustomed thing; and seated bullets can be extracted with an impact puller and reseated. The main advantage is that it cures the hesitation and uncertainty that usually accompanies first efforts. Once the operator becomes familiar with the right way and the things that can go wrong, it's a better time to go ahead and make ammo that actually goes 'bang'.

Greg

Welcome to the addiction
    smile.gif
    My first rounds were made under the watchful eyes of my dad when I was 9. I thought the 9x19 was a hand cannon at that point, I couldn't WAIT to go shoot them.