• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loaded rounds over .100” longer than OAL guage is showing and they’re still chambering? I’m confused?

Bmil94

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2023
Pennsylvania
Reloading for a new .223 and getting 2.880” CBTO on the bullets I plan to use with the Hornady OAL guage. I’m doing a ladder test for seating depth and I’m out to 2.960” and the rounds are still chambering. I used the OAL guage again and double checked and sure enough got 2.880” again. Am I doing something wrong?

I’m having a hell of a time processing what you wrote. Your 223 case base to ogive is measuring 2.8”+?! That’s like 308 overall length long.

List the specific components.

But yes, sometimes touch is a long ways from hard jam depending on the relation ship between your throats diameter/leade angle and your bullets ogive.

Edit: I bet you are on dial calipers or not zeroing your digitals is why.

In my absolute longest throated 223 I can seat 88ELD’s to 1.985 BTO. Something’s fucky With your measurements OP

Like was mentioned about above you must not be zeroing out the calipers with the tool mounted, I want to say mine measures around .900 which would give you around the 1.980 range like what was also mentioned.

Assuming measurements are correct, ammo won't stop chambering once you load past the touch point of the lands. You'll just be in the lands. Eventually you will get to a long enough point the bullets will stick and pull out of the case when you try to extract a live round. But will pretty much never come to a hard stop where it won't chamber.

Now, if you're talking about a stripped bolt and the bolt is still falling free with gravity, then either your measurements are wrong or you have an extremely long freebore.