• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading 300-WM and 300-PRC with non-magnum primers

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    My current stock is pretty good (7,000 LRP's and 3,000 LRMP's) ... but I obviously have a lot more standard primers than I have magnum, and I shoot a lot of those two calibers. I was thinking about doing some re-jiggering of my 300-WM and 300-PRC loads to try non-magnum primers. Just curious if anyone shoots these calibers with standard primers, and if you've switched back-and-forth, what do you see in your velocity and accuracy results. When you went from magnum to standard ... did you see velocity or accuracy suffer? Did your charge weight materially change? Is your "shooter" really big enough to require "magnum" protection, or do you just use them to satisfy your ego? (OK, you can skip that last question ...)

Ive used WLR and Fed210M with the win mag and H1000, good results. Id have to dig through my load data for specifics but it’s definitely doable.

Can’t speak to the PRC as ive never owned one but can’t see why standard LRPs wouldn’t fly.

I have used F210 in both calibers with H1000, H4831SC, no issues. I have no data to compare with Mag primers

I’m switching my 338 edge to standard primers after a recent test.
    95+ grains of N570 lit off fine.

No accuracy difference but my ES did get better, I did adjust my load as it lost 40 FPS.

I already use LRM for my 7 saum.

Reactions: category_theory
    I’m switching my 338 edge to standard primers after a recent test.
    95+ grains of N570 lit off fine.

No accuracy difference but my ES did get better, I did adjust my load as it lost 40 FPS.

I already use LRM for my 7 saum.

Similar results in my 300 PRC. I use BR2s and see a slight SD improvement over 215Ms

Reactions: category_theory
    I switched to LRP from LRMP in a 7Rem Mag and SD's improved considerably. Herd of others doing the same in the 28 Nosler. Stands to reason should be fine in the 300WM and the 300PRC

I've been running BR-2's in my 300WM. They ignite Power Pro 4000 MR just fine... And I did see some improvement in ES/SD.

No guarantees you'll see anything life-changing, but worth a try.

Mike

Follows the same concept as small rifle primers in short action cartridges. Smaller more consistent spark allows for more even burn rate which equals more consistent pressure and expansion. Percentage differences are small (SD/ES) improvements, but notable so if it's worth it to you components wise.. Hammer away.