• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loading .308/.300 with pistol powder?!

Khazad

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Germany
Hey there!
I found this great Forum some time ago, until now i was just reading because my english is not very good but now i registered, and here comes first post
smile.gif
:

Did someone try to load the .308 or .300 with pistol powders
like N110 or R910 and can share experience? I found some data on that with like
~32 grain N110 for the .300, v0 should be arround
600 m/s (Maybe nice for training on 100m and better for barrel life?)
Im realy tempted to try this but i red much about SEE etc.
and dont know if accuracy on these loads would be good enough.

Re: loading .308/.300 with pistol powder?!

Pistol powder use in rifles is usually confined to Unique or Trail Boss with cast lead bullets.
Using a fast burning low density powder in a rifle is asking for double charges and a destroyed rifle.
Reduced power rifle loads are easily done with a powder like 4198.

I played with WW-231 and got to about the 1400 fps level before things got too interesting. That was with 147-gr FMJBTs.

My math puts that at about 428 m/s. For 600 m/s = about 1964 fps, I'm not sure that even Unique could safely get you there. The faster rifle powders would probably serve you better.

I've loaded the 308 Win with 17gr Unique under moly'd Nosler 168gr BTHP. Chronograph says around 1900 fps. Quickload calcs pressure around 40K psi. Pressure looked very soft on primers.

Keep pistol powder FAR away from your rifle.

Sako's factory 170gr blue tip subsonic ammo is loaded with VV 310, if i remember right its 7.8gr

Thanks @ all for the tips!
I guess i have to try it if i want to
find out about accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Using a fast burning low density powder in a rifle is asking for double charges and a destroyed rifle.
</div></div>
I wont double charge em since i know that this would mean death to my gun
wink.gif

We all say we won't double charge but just for grins, try putting 7 and 14 grains of a high density pistol powder in a 308 case and see if the difference really jumps out at you.

That why Trail Boss is safe because it takes up a lot of space.

I have used sub-loads of 7gr Unique in .223 w/52SMK, and 9gr. Unique in .22-250 w/52SMK. Barrel never gets warm, accuracy quite good at 100yd in dead calm, goes right to hell with the slightest breeze. Would consider these to be excellent indoor gallery loads.

Greg