• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading at the range

targaflorio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
I want to be able to fine tune my loads in the field or at least at the hotel room on a weekend event. Sinclair makes a stand to mount a standard press into and take with. Anyone do that? Otherwise a small press for seating bullets => arbor press maybe?

Re: Loading at the range

I take my Forrester to the range and use a C clamp to attach it the the edge of the bench. The biggest pain is packing everything from the truck to the bench.

....and a fine micrometer powder measure, since scales are almost useless out in the open.
BB

Here is the setup I use. The Sears chest holds the Harrel's measure, RCBS Partner press, dies, arbor press, priming tool, primers, ears muffs, C-clamps, etc.

Reloadingsetup.jpg

Jesus! How far from the range do you live? Is it worth the trouble of bringing all that along?

I've always thought it would be nice to hbe able to load at the range, but it always seems enough of a project to simply shoot, nevermind loading too.

Care to elaborate?

I live in northern Virginia where shooting more than 308 or more than 100 yds is a challenge . Most of my load development I do with vapor trail in north Carolina 4 hrs away. My best bet is to commit a day and do it right.. Ohler 35p and all. I find myself loading many rounds unnecessarily because I have to cover too many possiibilities away from the bench. Last month, I found 43.5 grs of varget pushing the Smk 175 was a very accurate load, as was 44.8 grs. If I had had my press, I could have fine tuned those loads for charge and seating depth all in the same day.
I have heard of people pre-measuring charges and storing them in baggies or old film bottles to avoid having to measure charges and was wondering if anyone on the hide actually did that.

Remaction: I am intrigued by your set up, but what do you clamp the partner press to, and how do you measure your powder charges? Do you include a battery powered scale?

To Turbo54: that's my kit for weekend HBR shoots, but I have used it at the range for load development. Targaflorio mentioned weekend events when he needs to do something at the range or in the hotel, so I showed thought I'd share how I handle that.

If I use it for load development at the range, I have all the brass prepped as I only use the partner press for my HBR brass. Then I only need to drop powder and seat bullets at the range.

Targaflorio,

I have a Dillon scale, but bought an inexpensive
Frankford Arsenal battery powered scale last year that I really like. It's about the size of a cell phone.

I used to just clamp the press to the table top, but now have a block of aluminum (about 4" x 6" x 1" thick) that I had tapped to match to press holes. I now bolt the press to the aluminum block and then clamp the aluminum block to the table. It's easier to get a solid clamp setup using the block as the press used by itself has a pretty small surface area to clamp to. The picture above actually shows the press bolted directly to the table as that particular table was too thick for my c-clamps if I used the aluminum block.

If I'm taking stuff to the range, I'll take a bunch of sized and primed brass, or else my arbor press and wilson hand-dies (neck-size only). While I have a little RCBS Partner press I've never really been satisfied with the 'feel' of it while F/L sizing anything bigger than a .223 Rem.

A portable battery pack from someplace like Powerstream will run a Chargemaster 1500 nicely while at the range... between the hood over the scale platen along with sitting it inside a box with high sides does a pretty good job of protecting it from stray breeezes. Beats the heck out of screwing around with pre-measured charges.

Partner press is small, it is not the best press to FL size 308 family of cases but will do the job nicely, the Arbor press is for inline dies, I do all my seating of bolt gun rounds with a arbor press and Wilson inline seating dies with Sinclair micrometer tops, at my club I see more than a few BR shooters using Partner presses, but none of those guys use production dies, they are all custom made for chambers they have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you clamp the partner press to</div></div>

Go to the local home center and get a short piece of board. Oak 1x6 works for me (easier to clamp) but others will use 2x stock just fine. Drill holes to match the press, and find some t-nuts for the back side. Might need to counterbore the hole 1/16" for clearance. Most of my presses are mounted like this all the time, held in place with big c-clamps. I just loosen them up and take them along to the range as needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why the arbor press AND the partner press? Thanks! </div></div>

7/8x14 threaded press (Partner) for F/L sizing cases, arbor press for seating

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remaction: another question: why the arbor press AND the partner press? Thanks!</div></div>

427Cobra's response is the same as I would have posted. I only use the partner press for my 30x47 cases. It's small enough to fit in the loading chest and rigid enough for the neck sizing and minimal shoulder bumping of the 30x47 cases. I seat wth the arbor press. Just personal preferences. You could use the partner press (or the arbor press) for both I guess, but I just prefer seating with the arbor press and seating dies.

Whatever you decide, I would suggest staying consistent with whatever you do at home.

This thread should be enlightening for many asking why. BB

"Whatever you decide, I would suggest staying consistent with whatever you do at home."

This is good advice. No need to work off two different setups. Below is my range rig. This and a tool box to cart the other hand tools and components. Works well for me and when I get home I just take the turret from the range rig and put it in the one on the bench.

Finished11.jpg

I just built a press mount that fits into a 2" reciever. A clear cake pan can be used to shield your powder scale from drafts.

3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg
</div></div>

THat is awesome, dude.
I'm jealous

Someone needs to make one of those motivation posters out of this pic haha

No need to leave the range with this setup...

I bought one of those rubbermade totes and keep everything I need to load in it (Lee Breech Lock Hand press, RCBS Chargemaster, dies, projectiles, etc.). I size and decap on the bench in my garage, but all of my loading is done with this setup. It travels well and lets me load inside during the hottest months.

I have seen hand held presses. One was Lees breach lock , about 40.00. They will decap, neck size and bullet seat just fine. Another is the
anywhere press but it's a clamp down for the most part.

ReloadinginfrontofthecomputersoIcan.jpg

Practice reloading on your desk, in front of your keyboard.

That was easy, right?
Now try to do it with only one trip to the reloading room.

Working up loads at the range beats having to load way to many different charge weights and o.c.l, only to unload rounds when you get homes. Or find one you like and run out of ammo until the next trip.

I take preped primed brass to the range all the time, use battery operated scale in the cab, mount an extra RCBS 3 press to a black and decker work mat folding table.