• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading Bench Lighting

WyomingShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Fremont County, WY
Gentlemen: The 8 foot fluorescent lights above my loading bench are failing. Any suggestions for a replacement?

The present fixture is a 2 bulb 8 foot flourescent. It is mounted to a ceiling truss directly above the bench in my garage. Although it throws decent light, it's also slow to warm up in cold weather and will not withstand impact from the recoil plug of a 1911 pistol
wink.gif

I've thought about a LED but, the price seems crazy high. Home Depot LED. Other thoughts? Thanks very much. ELN

Re: Loading Bench Lighting

From what you describe, I would be tempted to go with a couple of 2 tube 4 ft fixtures. Get the ones with the T-8 bulbs and electronic ballasts. Two separate 2 tube fixtures lets you separate them and broaden your lighted space, from what you're getting from the existing 8 footers you've got. Two tube fixtures for "Damp Locations" should come with plastic or lexan clear covers which will help prevent premature failure from 1911 recoil plugs and such.

From what I've seen of the newest generation of LED illumination it really is the way to go. Superb lighting characteristics and extremely long life. The Federal Grant money to be able to afford them is what the problem is.

Good Luck
Paul

You could look into T-5s. They are an HO or High Output and will out perform most light fixtures. You can get the bulbs and endcaps/electronic ballast from a contractors lighting supplier. Then just gut your existing fixture and install. You couls do 4-4' bulbs and have about 30% more light. In my loading room I have six fixtures with 4 T-5's and it is bright!

But if you have money to burn, LED's are the future. We use them in the Aquarium Industry all the time. The technology is crazy in that industry! Good luck, JPG

I have the 2 bulb, 4ft fixtures with the T-8's in my reloading area and they perform well. I have plenty of light and have yet to burn out a bulb after years of use. The T-8's although smaller in diameter, put out a lot more light than the older, larger, bulbs I had installed previously.

The price was right as well. I believe I paid around $20ea for the fixtures at Lowes.

i would suggest you find a forum that discuss lighting fixtures .... and not reloading.

perhaps on home cheapo's website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would suggest you find a forum that discuss lighting fixtures .... and not reloading.

perhaps on home cheapo's website. </div></div>

I think the topic is very appropriate. Good lighting at a reloading bench is essential.

Fluorescent lighting doesn't work in my shop as my electronic scales don't care for it, not to mention that I hate it as well.

I prefer to just use some general lighting so I don't stumble over anything and then use a "Work Light" for the specific area I'm working in. This makes LED's very practical. At 1/10th the power consumption of incandescent lamps, and less "flicker" than the fluorescent, they're well worth the investment. If you live in a hot climate, they also contribute far less heat to the work area than both fluorescent and incandescent.

Since it's time for the OP to make a change, why not change for the future rather than using old technology.

"I would be tempted to go with a couple of 2 tube 4 ft fixtures. Get the ones with the T-8 bulbs and electronic ballasts. Two separate 2 tube fixtures lets you separate them and broaden your lighted space, from what you're getting from the existing 8 footers you've got."

I took your advice. The fixtures were about $35 each from Home Depot. As I recall, the bulbs were about $25 for 10. I've installed 4 fixtures in the garage/man cave - 2 over the bench and 2 in the other garage bay. The lighting is much brighter. Two things remain to be seen: First, cold weather performance. The manufacturer claims instant start down to 0 degrees F. As I only run the heater when I'm working, this is important. Second, the effect on my electronic scale. I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MALLARD said:
Fluorescent lighting doesn't work in my shop as my electronic scales don't care for it... </div></div>

Could you expound on that?