• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for 16-18" 308

The Zebra

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Louisiana
I have searched several through several pages and could not find anything to suit my needs. I was hoping that the "16-18 shorty rifles" thread would have a matching thread about loading for those, but if it exists, I can't find it. I am having my 308 rebarreled and finished at 17" and I am wondering if I should try a different, faster burning powder to achieve my target velocity. I have about 7# of Varget on hand as well as some 4895 which have been my go to powders for a 20" 308 in the past. I would just like to know if I should try something else, based on others' experience.

10 twist Kreiger finished at 17"
current bullet selection is 175 SMK
looking to get up to 2600 fps

I do not have the rifle back yet to test some loads in it but I was just wanting to do some reading about loading for a 16-18" 308 before hand if I could. Does anybody here have any experience with this? Also, I am open to trying a different projectile if necessary. Intended use will be mainly midrange (600-800y) but also out to 1k. This is not a hunting set up. Used for paper and steel.

Loading for 16-18" 308

It should not matter with a .308.

BTW, SMKs shoot their best at 2200-2400.

Try BLC(2).

Well my short barrel is a stock Savage 1:10 twist stainless from a 116 Weather Warrior. It was 22" long which I cut down to 18" an crowned with an EGW 11 degree tool. This is my hunting barrel so I don't expect it to group 10 shots without alot of cooling. I can put the first 3 into 1" at 100 using a bulls bag. After that they open up unless I cool the barrel. I use a Magnetospeed Chrony. With five shots my average speed with 47g of 2000MR was 2660 with an SD of 18 and ES of 22. I also have a 20" Medium Varmint barrel (Hog Hunter .750 at the crown) which shot the same load to 2690 average with an SD of 16 and ES of 23. My best group was .73 at 100. Not bad for a stock tube.

I have gone to PP200MR because I can find it locally. I'm tired of running out of Varget and RE15. The 2000MR has been fanastic in .223, .308 and 22-250 which are my main calibers. It meters great and has excellent velocity. In my guns it has been more accurate than Varget and just about equal to RE15 which has always been more accurate for me than Varget. PP averages 80-120 FPS faster than both Varget and RE15 in my rifles. I have only shot it at temps from 50-90 degrees. I only am seeing a small velocity change (probably less than 1fps per degree) similar to what others have reported. Small enough not to give me pressure worries. I have shot it out to 500 in my .223 and 22-250 and in my 20" .308. It maintains it's accuracy. As I said I have not shot my short 18" barrel at distance because frankly it's not what I use it for. I want it to be minute of Whitetail heart at 200 and in with good speed, which it does well. I'm sure with an proper workup you will get the results you want with the powder. It's pretty new so there is not much info on it yet but for me it's been working well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: