• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for a Remington 742 in 30.06

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
Anyone have any thoughts on loading for an old 742? I am going to load Barnes 200gr. TSX to 3.28" (Rem. 220gr. OAL 3.28" have been tested and do cycle reliably and are quite accurate). Will be using Win 1X fired brass and Win primers. Any idea what type of powder to consider? The Barnes website shows RE15 and Hunter (more case fill and higher velocities). Am trying to be prudent since I have never loaded for a semi auto before, only bolt guns. Definately want to settle in at about my max load. Any thoughts to consider?

Re: Loading for a Remington 742 in 30.06

I'd be interested in this as well as I have a 742 30-06. It's a wonderful rifle. Haven't done any reloads yet but it loves Rem. 160 grain core-lok soft points.

Re: Loading for a Remington 742 in 30.06

You won't know anything for sure until you start loading some up --- starting on the light side.

One thing on the semi-auto thing: Consider working with a powder that is average to slightly fast burning for that caliber-bullet combination. Slow burning powders may damage the semi-auto action by producing too much port pressure or may cause extraction problems.