• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for a Ruger MKII (257 Roberts)

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    I have been banging my head for a couple years now (off and on) trying to find a load for this damn rifle. I was using Hornady cases and 100 soft points. The rifle is factory from one end to the other. 22 inch sported barrel and the best I can get out of it seems to be minute of barn 1.5 MOA in reality. I cannot for the life of me figure this rifle out. Call it a personal conflict or whatever but that just isn't acceptable even for "just a hunting rifle". Yes it still has the atrocious factory trigger in it and I know that needs to be changed.

Now the catch. This was my first deer rifle that was given to me by my father when I was a teenager. Ultimately I am not opposed to putting a new barrel on it but I want to keep the rifle as close to stock as possible. I have talked to a buddy who owned the same rifle and he told me the only bullets he and a rifle building company could get it to shoot were the 115 Hornadys.

I am at my wits end. . . please help

Sierracharlie out. . .

Mine shoots right about 1 Moa with 115gn Ballistic Tips (same stock rifle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ruger 3006 shot about .75moa with nosler bts and 1moa with partitions and accubonds. Good enough to work great for hunting. Everything else was outside of that but never over 2moa. I figured after 200 dollars trying to get a game king to work I should spend the money on another barrel and come out ahead. And ohboy is it worth getting a new barrel. I can mount my suppressor now plus it shoots awesome already ore load development. My dad had an original tang safety ruger out of high school and I got a mark 2 as my high school "graduation ring" and likewise wasn't the biggest fan of cutting it up but I have zero regrets. I also put in the timney and it's a god send as well. Just have to get out the dremel and take some passes off the oversized safety cylinder until it functions. It really is much more of a joy to shoot now.

I sent it off to pacnor and had them thread up a #6 sporter at 26". I really liked the idea of keeping the factory light weight stock with the traditional wood vs a mdt chassis or mcmillan and though it gets a little thin on the top sides its still perfectly functional. Had to get a rasp and clear a little out on the side of the inlet for that timney safety cylinder but it again was quick work. I can flex it a bit but its not like its pliable or anything. Definitely still stiffer than a hogue three fold and stiff enough that it wont touch the barrel in shooting situations. Basically only when I give it a great squeeze.
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/WwSuvZG.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]