• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading For a Tight Bore 308

67rschev

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2011
Colorado
Will be getting my rig back from the smith next week and getting ready to do some initial work-up for the rifle so I'll be ready to go . I've had an Obermeyer 5r installed and the action trued yada yada yada .

My question for you gents and any one with any experiences loading for a .298 - 307 bore . Any special considerations for reloading or just approach it as a normal new piece ? From what I've gathered searching here and there , is work up as I would normally , and you may see pressure sign earlier than a normal bore . But I should see more speed than before at lower charges .

Any input ?

Re: Loading For a Tight Bore 308

Pressure oughtta come sooner. My oem barreled Savage takes 45.5gr Varget with 175smk to hit 2675, my partners tight bore takes 43.4.

That's correct. Loading 42.5 grains of Varget or RL15, I get 2685 with 175 SMK's. Have long switched to Berger 185 LRBT's.

Fastest barrel I've ever seen/had was a tightbore bartlien. Specs and load:

tightbore .298 Bartlien
gain twist, 1:13.9 ending in 1:13
22" medium palma
95' Palma chamber with about .003" more headspace then spec
AI AE action

Varget
Sierra 2156
lapua brass
wolf primers
46.5 was 2950fps
46.9 was 2990fps
47.4 was 3050fps
no pressure signs up till this point. unbelievably fast.

Thanks , thats about the responses I was expecting . Normal workup , look for early high pressure signs .

Read somewhere that bullets with a lot of bearing surface , will hit max sooner .

Hope its as fast of a barrel as I'm expecting