• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for M1 Garand vs. M1A

Lewisusa1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2010
Washington
I am wondering if there are any issues regarding reloading for the M1A as there are for the M1 Garand, as they both have basically the same action? And if not, why? Does it have anything to do with the difference between 30.06 and .308? And what is a good load for either? I have a Garand, which I want to start loading for (and I know there are special considerations), and am waiting on a SA M1A loaded S/S. Thanks for any help you can supply.
Sincerely,

Recon1

Re: Loading for M1 Garand vs. M1A

I don't know about M1As, but I do know a little about the Garand. If you load for it just remember to not use a heavy bullet. If you use a 150gr through a 168gr bullet you will be OK. Anything heavier uses a slower powder burn rate that changes the pressure and can damage the op-rod.
Keep the velocities near the published velocities for M2 ball and the 168gr match ammo with those bullet weights and you will ahve no problems.
If you decide that you do want to use a heavier bullet you can buy an adjustable gas plug to avoid damage.

Jim

Recon1, this is an excellent article on loading for both. http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf. Use caution to always full length size cases, so they chamber easily. Insure primers are fully seated below the case head and preferably use a mil-spec primer. Garands also require specific powders, IMR 4064, IMR or H4895 are listed most often with bullets in the 147 to 175 grain range. NRA publications has an issue titled
; The M1 Rifle. It is full of info. Hope this helps.

Randy P.

They're pretty similar in terms of what type of powders they like (and will tolerate) and what weight of bullets are suitable.

For the M1A full length resize is a must as mentioned above, and a lot of M1A shooters swear by small base dies, although I have never had a problem with plain old full length sizing.

The M1A is really brutal to brass, so don't expect to get too much mileage out of it.

The key issues with the M1 and M1A are port pressures and oprod flex.

Faster powders and limits on bullet weights will tend to reduce the stress on these critical parts.

Of the two, the M1A has somewhat better tolerance for mismatched speeds and weights, but is NOT impervious to such types of damage. Once an oprod is bent, it's toast; and locating a replacement can be a serious enterprise all by itself. So heed the popular precautions regarding propellant speeds and bullet weights.

While MilSpec primers are a definite safety boon, most of the instances of slamfires are due to improperly hand chambering cartridges. This bypasses design safety features that are based on <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> feeding <span style="font-style: italic">each and every round</span> from the magazine, even if you're single feeding. The process of stripping the round and feeding it <span style="font-style: italic">from the magazine</span> imposes deceleration on the bolt's forward motion that limits firing pin velocities to within safer limits.

The very existence of such MilSpec primers is largely a testament to the simple fact that military personnel will always find a way to misuse their equipment. The slamfire deterrence provided by the MilSpec primer is simply a measure of insurance against such misuse.

As long as regular primers are seated to the proper depth, and proper feeding/handling procedures are followed, the likelihood of a slamfire is thereby significantly reduced.

For the M1, I use Rem brass, Win WLR primers, 50.0gr of IMR-4064, and a 147-155gr FMJBT or FMJ bullet. This largely imitates the Military Ball load. For the 168, use 48.0gr of IMR-4064, and for the 175, use 47.0gr of IMR-4064.

For the M1A, I use Rem Brass, WLR primer, 42.2gr of IMR 4064, and the 175gr SMK. This is a reliably accurate and adequate 1kYd load. IMHO, there is no point to using lighter (or heavier) bullets with the M1A.

These loads are taken from widely circulated publications, and have been personally verified by me as effective and safe when used properly in a sound and well maintained appropriate firearm.

Greg

I have a Service Grade M1 I bought from CMP. Here is some info I ran across that might help you. I had Hook Boutin go through it and work his magic. Hook likes 4064 and 175's. I see most folks like 4064 or 4895. The Garand has been around so long that the loads are almost standard and not much need to get crazy with load development. Load up a standard load and go shoot! I have the Greek 150gr ammo from CMP but will reload with 168's or 175's. I also have a Shuster adjustable plug so I won't bend the Op Rod.

Keith

<span style="font-weight: bold">Reloads for the M1 Rifle

I want to reload ammunition for my M1 Rifle. Other shooters tell me to be careful in my selection of components for the incorrect ones can damage the rifle. What should I choose? What should I avoid? Why?

Answer: The warnings you have been given are good ones. Though it is a rugged, piece of equipment, the M1 Rifle has an “Achilles heel”; its long, slender operating rod. Operating rods can be bent to the point of uselessness if continually subjected to propellent gas pressures that are too high. Such too high pressures are usually the result of either too-heavy bullets or too-slow burning powder, or both. In military service, over the several decades that the M1 was either our primary or an important secondary arm, this potential fragility of the operating rod was not a problem. Ammunition for the rifle was developed and loaded that did not cause overly high pressure to be exerted against the operating rod, and so did not damage it. Handloaders, however, can choose combinations of components that will cause damage. For best results, use powders faster than IMR 4320, and bullets of 180 grains weight, or lighter. Suggested loading data for .30-’06 ammunition in M1 Rifles follows:

147/150-gr. bullets – either FMJ or HPBT
IMR 3031 48.0 grs.
IMR 4895 49.0 grs.
IMR 4064 50.0 grs.
Win 748 Ball 48.0 grs.
Acc AA2460 49.0 grs.
Acc AA2520 51.0 grs.
Acc 2495BR 50.5 grs.
Hod H-4895 49.0 grs.
Hod BL-C2 49.0 grs.
Hod H-335 49.0 grs.
Herc Re-12 48.0 grs.

165/168-gr. bullets – either SP, HP or FMJ
IMR 4895 47.0 grs.
IMR 4064 48.0 grs.
Acc AA2520 47.5 grs.
Acc 2495BR 47.0 grs.
Hod H-4895 47.5 grs.
Hod BL-C2 49.0 grs.
Hod H-335 47.0 grs.
Herc Re-12 44.5 grs.

173/175-gr. bullets – M72 or M118
IMR 4895 46.0 grs.
IMR 4064 47.0 grs.
Acc AA2460 46.0 grs.
Acc 2495BR 46.0 grs.
Hod H-4895 47.0 grs.
Hod BL-C2 48.0 grs.

180-gr. Bullets – either SP, HP or FMJ
IMR 4895 43.0 grs.
Acc AA2460 46.5 grs.
Acc 2495BR 45.5 grs.
Hod H-4895 44.0 grs.
Hod BL-C2 47.5 grs.
Herc Re-12 41.5 grs.

The charges listed are meant to approximate the performance of military ammunition using commercial reloading components, including cases. In no circumstances should any charge weight be increased. If military surplus cases are used, charges should be reduced by 1.5 grs. to start. Loads using tubular-grained powders such as IMR propellants do well if primed with conventional large rifle primers (Federal, CCI or Remington). Loads using powders such as BL-C2, AA2460 or AA2520 and Win. “Ball” are best primed with Winchester’s WLR primer or possibly a “magnum” primer from another component manufacture."

Use with caution.
</span>

All standard reloading items applied to my M1A. However I did notice that I really had to be meticulous about trimming the brass. If I missed any trimming, the cases would stick, pressures would go wild because the case was being crimped onto the bullet.