• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for my 300wm

tjw7.62

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2023
Maine
Been loading for 300 win for 5 or 6 years now. 180 gamekings, killed everything DRT, and would cut a nickle at 200. So I decided to try out the 215 bergers, and I used a lot of what you guys had to say on here as something to go off of. Used once fired (from the same rifle) annealed Nosler brass, H1000, 215M primers, found my lands around 3.750 give or take, and began my powder work up starting at 71 grains.
Had my best group near around 72 grains but I wasn't near the velocity I was hoping for. Split a casing at 74.5 grains.
A lot of guys are pushing higher powder chargers, but honestly my groups were opening way up at 73.5 and 74 grains anyways so I'll probably just have to deal with the 2815fps +/- I'm getting now.
Curiousity got me because some of you guys are starting your charges where I'm splitting my casings. What could be up with that? My chamber size too big allowing more stretch? My neck tension to high causing pressure spikes? Primers werent looking flatten out before i split the case, nore was my bolt sticky. Could've been that one weird, soft piece of brass with a botched mix of metal. Got a 1/9.5, 28 inch Douglas barrel thrown on it.
Thoughts?

Did multiple cases split?

How far are you pushing the shoulder back on a fired case?

What is your barrel length?

2815 fps with a 215 gr bullet is pretty decent for a 300 Win Mag.

Mike

Lapua brass is far better quality than nosler (I’m aware of the crazy prices nosler charges). I’d assume that’s what most are using you’re seeing pushing velocity

Lapua brass is far better quality than nosler (I’m aware of the crazy prices nosler charges). I’d assume that’s what most are using you’re seeing pushing velocity
Yeah, I wanted lapua but found the nosler instead.

What is your barrel length?

2815 fps with a 215 gr bullet is pretty decent for a 300 Win Mag.

Mike
26inches. Yeah I'm not concerned, I'll be happy with those rpms for certain. Just curious about why the rest took place.

Did multiple cases split?

How far are you pushing the shoulder back on a fired case?
Just the one, I didn't try another to test the results because I like my nice things. It was the only one I fired at that powder charger.
Shoulders are bumped about .002

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Ya seriously go by some 300wm Lapau brass that you can't find anywhere. What are you waiting for?!?!?!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a serious note though. Your brass is probably not splitting because its not Lapua. You have something else going on. Could we see a picture of the split case, and a picture of case heads on the other rounds? How far off the lands are you? How much shoulder bump?

Ya seriously go by some 300wm Lapau brass that you can't find anywhere. What are you waiting for?!?!?!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a serious note though. Your brass is probably not splitting because its not Lapua. You have something else going on. Could we see a picture of the split case, and a picture of case heads on the other rounds? How far off the lands are you? How much shoulder bump?

Is your brain okay? Literally the first two google links I clicked are in stock. On a serious note - his brass probably is splitting because it’s nosler.

Jump and shoulder bump are not causing split cases when he’s at a moderate to slightly heavy load?!?!

Let me guess these cases have at least 3 firing on them?

Is your brain okay? Literally the first two google links I clicked are in stock. On a serious note - his brass probably is splitting because it’s nosler.

Jump and shoulder bump are not causing split cases when he’s at a moderate to slightly heavy load?!?!

Grafs not in stock. Have you bought anything from the first link?

Line 2 of the OP. 1 x fired brass. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Buy from that place that only accepts zelle. I dare you.

Some might argue that you spamming shit links has now done more harm than an unweighed end cap.

Reactions: cornhusker86
I stand corrected on the in stock status. However you’re problems are still tied to the nosler you are using.

Thank you for also using reason to help this man.
Thanks for the links to out of stock 300WM Lapua and a scam sight!!! Really helpful!!! You sure showed me!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If its defective brass, its defective because its defective. Not because its Nosler. Nosler make tons of brass that is not defective. I would agree a lengthwise split in 1x fired brass is usually defective brass. I also know, you never know what you are going to see on the internet.

I stand corrected on the in stock status. However you’re problems are still tied to the nosler you are using.
What measurements do you have to come to that conclusion? Because I don’t see where he even took any measurements in the first place, much less shared them, for you to make claims like that.

Op, measure the base, shoulder and middle body diameters of fired brass that didn’t split compared to your loaded. We generally don’t want more than just a couple thou difference. If youve got more free space between the case and the chamber it can tear longitudinally when it fills. Likely because brass is too brittle but even the most malleable brass can split if pushed too far. Generally if headspace is too much it will split latitudinally around the case body called case head separation where the bottom rips off. Likely not your issue but measure your change in headspace while you have the calipers out.

Last edited:
What measurements do you have to come to that conclusion? Because I don’t see where he even took any measurements in the first place, much less shared them, for you to make claims like that.
I've used Nosler brass, Hornady, ADG, alpha, Peterson and lapua. Ive never experienced such bizarre splits as I have using Nosler just like he's describing. It's overpriced brass which is not good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links to out of stock 300WM Lapua and a scam sight!!! Really helpful!!! You sure showed me!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If its defective brass, its defective because its defective. Not because its Nosler. Nosler make tons of brass that is not defective. I would agree a lengthwise split in 1x fired brass is usually defective brass. I also know, you never know what you are going to see on the internet.
if you know it's defective brass then why didn't you say so? you asked about jump and push back.

26inches. Yeah I'm not concerned, I'll be happy with those rpms for certain. Just curious about why the rest took place.
It split lengthwise down the case wall, correct?

Just a guess, but when it was made there was a burr or a "bug" on the die. Caused a weak spot in a line down the inside of the case wall.

It happened to me once with brand new brass loaded with a charge well below max.

It happens.

Mike

if you know it's defective brass then why didn't you say so? you asked about jump and push back.
Asking about jump and shoulder bump is one of the easiest ways to get an idea of whether someone is just mashing shit together.

I didn't say I know its defective brass.

After the showing of ass you have had here, I am surprised you aren't just praying this thread dies.

Or maybe its just my head injury or whatever. :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did you order any brass form your link yet? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: cornhusker86
Asking about jump and shoulder bump is one of the easiest ways to get an idea of whether someone is just mashing shit together.

I didn't say I know its defective brass.

After the showing of ass you have had here, I am surprised you aren't just praying this thread dies.

Or maybe its just my head injury or whatever. :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did you order any brass form your link yet? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I’m glad we git him worked out despite your useless questions. Good luck with your nosler brass adventures. I’ll be enjoying consistency, and low es on my side of this.

Length wise

I'll see if I can find it, I know I put it somewhere I'd never lose it, or remember it.
And yeah exactly. Wanted lapua, had to settle. I haven't searched around in awhile either.

Out on the lobster boat for a day, it would appear I missed the party.
Thanks for all the replies though.

I’m glad we git him worked out despite your useless questions. Good luck with your nosler brass adventures. I’ll be enjoying consistency, and low es on my side of this.
As soon as your order shows up from brass-storeUSA so you can quit splitting Nosler cases you will be....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I still want to see the split brass before I would consider giving an opinion besides split cases lengthwise are usually bad brass.

What did Nosler say when you contacted them about your split case problem?

I will hurry out and go buy some Lapau brass that's not available. 🤡