• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for semi-auto?

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I have a Rem 742 in 30-06. Is the loads for a M1 Garand ckose to the same. I don't want to load rounds to hot and bend the rails. I am going to load 155 gr nad 168 gr bullets.

What is you pet load?

Thanks

Re: Loading for semi-auto?

I find that loads for my Garands work well in the 742 Remington Woodmaster. I normally load 150gr. SP's in my 742. The thing about the 742 that you need to watch for is battering of the receiver rails. When the bolt gets to the rear it can over rotate and bang up the slots-feed rails. This can be caused by overpressure or too slow of powder which adds to the force by burning longer and giving too much gas to cycle the action. I didn't know this for a long time with my 742 and using IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 powder and near maximum book loads my rifle is showing some battering of the feed slots-rails. I believe that Garand safe powders would also be easier on the action of the semi-auto 742. Most gunsmiths won't touch a 742 and I don't think even Remington will do any repairs other than warranty service. They are just too complicated and often can't be repaired. I love my Rem 742 Woodmaster though and have shot it a lot since the early 70's. My 1st highpower rifle with sentimental value. I think you'll do well to use Garand safe load data for your rifle using Garand recommended powders. My 742 is more accurate than most say a semi 30-06 would be. My 742 works fine with Garand overall lengths but check yours with your bullets and like for a Garand, make sure primers are flush or below. Also, the chambers in 742's like the Garand can be quite long. Mine is near maximum for chamber length which can make it stretch brass. It would be a good thing to not size your shoulders back to zero every sizing or the case will stretch every firing as much as .006-.008" and brass separation could result after a few firings of the same case that were sized back to zero each time. A case gauge to measure case shoulder set-back when full length sizing would be a good safety practice.

My BAR 30-06 likes 165 Sierra Gameking HPBT and 47.5 gr. IMR 4064. The 165 hunting bullet shoots as well as the 168 Matchking at reasonable (hunting) distances. The hollow point is devastating on deer. Also, gas guns like IMR 4895. It is formulated to deliver the right pressure to the gas port at the right time. I have shot some 150 Accubonds with IMR 4895, between 47 and 51 gr. Good hunting and be safe...

Thanks guys. I have 4895, 4350 and 4831. I see what I can get. I also have the Game Kings in the 165s. My 308 likes them too. I have time to work the load up before season.

I was talking to my uncle and he sugested triing,
IMR 3031 46.0 grains with a 165 gr. bullet, and CCI 200 primer.

There is a section on semi's in the Seirra loading book that is pretty good. It explains the something of the principals. Worth it if you can find a book to borrow.

My Garand really likes 47.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a Sierra 168 MKBT. Arnie

I used IMR4350 for my 743 for years. However, now that I've got M1 garands I would no longer use it as I would not want to chance getting the slow burning powder reloads mixed in with the IMR 4895 loads. If I were still hunting with the 742 I'd just use IMR4895 or whatever powder I was using to load for the Garand. The best loads for the 742 might be different but they would not harm the Garand.

My Garand load is 50gr IMR-4064, commercial brass, WLR primers, and 147-155gr bullets. For 168-175's, I drop that to 48.0gr.

Garand loads tend to be built around limited bullet weights and faster powders in a generally mild loading. IMHO, the primary issue is to preserve the oprod's integrity, and loads that achieve that goal are relatively unlikely to bend the rails of a Rem 742 or 750 action.

My other .30-'06 rifle is a lighter weight M70, and I wouldn't terribly mind having a Saiga .30-'06.

Greg

My Garand hunting load is Sierra's Accuracy load with the 165 SGK 47.9gr. Imr 4064. I want the heavier bullet for added penetration for any game I may come upon. Tracks about the same as the 168 SMK easily a sub 2 MOA load in my WWII Springfield 3,67x,xxx