• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loading for the 7mm rem mag

jeremybowlin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
EL Dorado,KS,67042
Im having a hard time deciding what powder to run for my 7mm rem mag. I have some test rounds loaded with H4350 140gr berger vlds. But i have been looking into H1000 also. what are you guys running with the 140vlds for the best accuracy/vol. Thanks

Re: loading for the 7mm rem mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerhunterjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im having a hard time deciding what powder to run for my 7mm rem mag. I have some test rounds loaded with H4350 140gr berger vlds. But i have been looking into H1000 also. what are you guys running with the 140vlds for the best accuracy/vol. Thanks </div></div>

Earlier in the year, I went on a 7RM bender and tried getting something together for 1000 yards. I ran out steam as spring approached, but H-4831sc, RL-19, RL-22, H-1000, and AA/H-4350 were all used with 150gr Nosler BTs and SMKs (faster powders) and 162/168gr Hornady HPBT NM/SMKs.

There are other powders to fiddle with, like VV-165, Retumbo (175s+) and some of the Ramshot/Winchester powders will work, so it's just a question of what you have access to and then doing a short workup with the stuff you've settled on.

You tell us what works best in your weapons, with your choosen components!

I don't hunt, but my '97 Rem Sendero seems to like everything from 120s-168s. For my long range load, I was trying to get the higher BC bullets to shoot well, for obvious reasons. You might not be attempting to shoot that far.

Chris

Thanks chris for the info. Thats the reason i bought the sendero is to reach out there. I have a numer of the powders you listed so i will just run some lead down range as see what she dose. I love the berger bullets but they seem to be a pain in the butt to load for. I dont have but a couple three years with loading so im learning something everyday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerhunterjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks chris for the info. Thats the reason i bought the sendero is to reach out there. I have a numer of the powders you listed so i will just run some lead down range as see what she dose. I love the berger bullets but they seem to be a pain in the butt to load for. I dont have but a couple three years with loading so im learning something everyday. </div></div>

The people here are pretty slick and are more than happy to help somebody out, but remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

There are little tricks that I've learned, like removing the expander ball when sizing bolt gun brass, like letting the necks grow a bit longer to help create a better gas seal...stuff like that. And I had been reloading for a good 12 years before I started posting here, no not exactly a noob.

Try some of the heavier bullets. My last batch before I stopped fiddling, used the 162gr AMAX, which are slick as snot, but I didn't fire that weapon the last time I made it up near Tampa, to use the 1000 yard range.

Chris

I have found annealing helps a bunch. Now on the 7mm i ran into not enough neck tension the other night. using a FL rcbs die. I did remove the expander ball and will probally have to go that route. But i ended up using a drill and fine emory cloth and took the expander down .004 so i now have .005 neck tension. I havent loaded any since yet so i will see how that dose in a few days. Thanks again for all the info i take it all in thats for sure. I do prep my brass 100% so i think im good there.

I havn't tried the 140's, but I've loaded 168 vld's with Fed 215GM's and Retumbo loaded to just off the lands and grooves in several rem 700's. It's a deadly combo out to a 1000yds. You should be able to get to 3000fps easy with a 26" barrel. I start at 68 grains and work up toward 71. Good luck!

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roadhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havn't tried the 140's, but I've loaded 168 vld's with Fed 215GM's and Retumbo loaded to just off the lands and grooves in several rem 700's. It's a deadly combo out to a 1000yds. You should be able to get to 3000fps easy with a 26" barrel. I start at 68 grains and work up toward 71. Good luck!

Doug </div></div>

+1!!!!
I use 69 grains Retumbo with CCI Magnum Primers loaded .010 off the lands. 2930 fps out of a 24" tube and groups in the .1's!!

H4350 is not the powder for mine. VOL sucked as did group size. I just got the rifle so i picked up a box of cheap remington 150gr sp ammo after i tried the H4350 loads. it shot the factory ammo 1 inch at 200 and i wasnt bearing down. So i now know the rifle will shoot. I have some winchester supreme 780 on the shelf and some IMR-4831 think i will give the win 780 a go. Might have to make a run and get a couple pounds of retumbo tomorrow if this dont work. I may have to go with the 168s and retumbo.

I like H1000 for my 7RM Sendero, it seems to burn cleaner than RL22 and still gives good velocity. After several pounds of Retumbo, I switched to H1000 and results were better. After you run out of 140's, I would try the heavier bullets as they have higher BC's needed for long range. Bergers are very finicky with seating depth to get right, if you have accuracy issues try some AMAX's or SMK's which are more tolerant. I want to try out the Berger 180 Hybrids.

My favorite loads:
70.0gr H1000 for 162 AMAX .020" off the lands
69.5gr H1000 for 168 Bergers .004" off the lands
215 or 215GM Federal primers

.005" neck tension seems to be a bit much to me, .001"-.002" should be enough to keep things from moving around in a bolt action?

Regardless, good luck and let us know what you find out!

My Remington PSS 26" in 7mm mag likes RL22. I'd tried several other powders and the RL22 works great from 139 SST's up to the 162 A-max. Haven't done much load development for 175gr. bullets. I've just started using H1000 for my new 338lapua and I might run a few tests with it on the 7mm mag.

I've gotten 3400fps with 139gr SST/RL22/f215m/Fed brass, very slight pressure signs on the primer. 300yd 3shot groups of 1.25".

I switched to the 168gr sierras And went with H4831sc the book VOL and the vol i was getting was quit a bit off. I kept going up in my charge weight and watching very close for pressure signs finally at 66grs of H4831sc seating depth 2.717 base to ogive it shoot a .144 at 200 yards VOL at 12ft from muzzle was 2902. im above book max but again i have no pressure signs. There was a couple other loads that shoot sub moa with the H4831. All was at 200 yards. I was very happy with the sierras/powder combo. I also tried Reloader 19 with the 168s one load shoot good but it was not near as consistent as the H4831. I was looking for 3000 fps is what i would of liked to get but the one hole group i can live with 2900.

deerhunter, is that a .144" group at 200yds, how many shots? Also, how far off (or into) the lands were you seating the 168SMK's? I've found that just over 2900fps gives the best blend of velocity and accuracy.

Yes sir 200yrds .144 just a one hole. I measured the outside and subtracted the .284 came out to .144 and that was conservative. Three shot group i only loaded three because of how much i was over on the charge weight compared to the hodgen load data. No pressure signs to speak of. Im not sure how far off the lands i dont have the gauge top measure. My length is 2.717 base to ogive with the 168s. Its a extremely accurate load. I shot a big doe last night and it put her down with a quickness. she was at a 100 yards even though it was a match king it did its job plus some. Im going to be ordering the modified case and the tool so i can get the off lands measurement. For a stock rifle im very pleased with the way it shoots. I get upset really easy on load development seems like im all ways fighting it. I do everything 100% and still seem to have problems. Same story with this sendero 7mm. I was getting 3 inch and smaller with 140gr bergers. It showed me that A rifle will shoot just got to find what it likes. A big learning lesson that made a guy feel good when the small hole appeared. Im real picky on my rifles accuracy but i sure can live with this one.

That's pretty good shooting. I just broke 1000 rounds in my sendero and it still does pretty good (1.5" 5 shot groups at 300yds), I think they're great rifles.

Keep in mind the modified case has a shorter shoulder than your reloaded brass thus will add a few .001's (.006 in my case) in the jump direction than reality when measuring base to ogive, which is not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things unless you are trying to get really close to the lands. I've noticed that my groups are worse when I get really close to the lands anyways (.000 or .002+ jam). You can also take a once fired case that more closely matches your chamber and drill+tap a 5/16-36 hole in it to make your own. The tap size is non-standard so you would have to order one if you went that route.

I also happened to notice that the hornady and sinclair bullet comparators have different diameters. The hornady is a little smaller (.274) than than the sinclair (.284 at the mouth) so I don't consider the hornady to tell me the true ogive distance. However for comparison purposes either is fine, but something to keep in mind.

I'm not trying to preach or anything, but these are some things to ponder (or not) that I've discovered.

I sure appreciate all the info i can get. I take it all in or try to. I havent been loading all that long and im learning new things everyday.
I was wondering about using one of my cases with the tool. I wasnt sure what threads they were. So that answers that question.
I shoot another doe this morning put the matchking in the white patch of her neck. Down she went never kicked. Range was a mear 100 yards. Shot a coyote also this morning after lip squeaking him in to around 50 yards. the match king tore up the coyote pretty bad which i knew it was going to. So far i love the match king bullet. And this is the first 7mm i have had and its grown on me fast. I cant wait until i can really stretch its legs on paper to see how she is going to perform at some long range distance.

Dang, you get to kill something every day, that must be the life! I have to wait a whole year. They say SMK's aren't for hunting applications, but they say that about the AMAX's also and people say they work great on deer.

LMAO Im going to be hitting the coyotes hard in a week or two now. There sure is a bunch of them this year. So far i have been very pleased with the 168s and the way they have preformed.

I have rifles in 26 cartridges that commonly kill deer.

I am trying to increase my hunting range from 500 to 600 yards.

My experiments are converging on the 7mmRM 140 gr H4350.

I think my new favorite bullet is the 175SMK after 4 shots went into .82" @ 300 yds. Neighboring groups were all good as well at 62-64gr H1000. Going back soon to see if it's repeatable, that's always the part that usually gets me.

I wonder what a 175SMK would do to an elk? I've always used Bergers but they are getting a bit spendy.