• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading problem! BORE TECH solids

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Fellas ive tried all that i know to do as far as loads with this bullet maybe yall can help. I have the bore tech 245grn v3 match in .338. My rifle is a surgeon remedy with a 28.5 krieger and it has a 1:9.5 twist rate. How far am i supposed to seat off the lands?????? I heard it was .070 but i dont know for sure. I think i have the right twist because they hit perfectly straight frow 50 to 300 yrds. Any suggestions on powder? im using retumbo and rl 25.

Re: Loading problem! BORE TECH solids

What is the problem? Your specs sound right but I dont know what your looking for.

Surgeon-Shooter,

I would load 3 rounds at each seating depth,starting from .070 to .010 in 10 thou increments until you see the groups tighten up.Then go in 5 thou and out 5 thou from there to see which shoots best.Seems like my ELR guns shoot good just below max pressures.A grain or so less than what load causes a sticky bolt.

Also I wouldn't try to shoot groups at less than 300 yards because the bullets might not be stabilizing correctly yet.After pulling my hair out with my 375CT,trying to develop a load with 330 Lehigh solids,I discovered that the gun shot as good at 400 yards as it did at 200Y.The bullets just were not fully stabilized at 200Y.Try to pick a calm day and don't be concerned with the horizontal too much.

After finding seating depth you should do a ladder test.That way you are reasonably assured that when August comes and it's 20 degrees warmer,your loads won't be too hot.

The only other powder I could think to suggest is US-869 but either of the 2 you have should work fine.The Retumbo probably gives the best load density but you might be losing some velocity.

Let us know what happened.Good luck.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve! I'll do as you suggested my friend and I'll let ya know how it pans out. Thanks again

Ok, I went out to the reloading station a minute ago and found where the bullet meets the lands. The OAL at the lands is 4.019 and I'm gonna start out @ .070 off the lands. But when I shove the bullet in to 3.949 one of the belts on the bullet is still exposed out of the brass. I don't think this will effect anything but I need your opinion. I'm new to the whole SOLID bullet thing and I'm kinda lost.

SS,

I imagine that you are loading single shot because of the OAL.If so then the belt is not an issue.

Also was .070 recommended by the manufacturer ? If not then I would start close to the lands first then work back into the case.

Steve

I emailed bore tech and didn't get a response but I've done some reading on some other solids and most that I found say to seat them about .070 first.