• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loading smaller bullets in .300wm

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
i've heard it said an advantage of .300wm is you can load smaller rounds and basically make the equivalent of a .308win

if a .300wm shoots 195grain rounds well is it likely that it would shoot 165's well?
just trying to understand if i were to go to a .300wm how versatile it would be

Well yeah you can.....they will just be going a lot faster than a 308. Barrels last wayyyyy less on a 300WM than a 308. Be better off shooting a 308 with 165-195gr bullets.

I wouldn’t load anything smaller than .308” diameter. I wouldn’t load anything much bigger either!

I wouldn’t load anything smaller than .308” diameter. I wouldn’t load anything much bigger either!

thanks maybe i wasn't clear and i don't see a winking face to indicate if you're being sarcastic :)
my smaller, when i load 308, i usually load it with 160-170 grain rounds (obviously of the .30 cal size). With a 300win mag you can get some amazing performance out of larger (for example 195 grain, up to 220 grain). Just was looking for some opinions as to how a 165 grain round would shoot out of a .300win mag if for some reason i opted to go that route

the longer story is i'm building a new gun to punch paper at 1000 yards. i currently have a 7mm and I reload for that. If i go to a .300wm for this new gun i'll get rid of my 7mm stuff. if i ever get into elk, moose, etc i'd think a .300wm would be a bit better, but a 7mm should still be effective