• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading solids in 338

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
Alright I am after a safety check. I plan on loading some solids in my 338 LM. I know that with solids you can basically get more with less, so to speak. So if I take load data for a bullet of similar weight and conventional construct then reduce the load by 10% will I be safe or am I off base?

Re: Loading solids in 338

Longshot,

You are really making some dangerous suppositions!

#1, How much bearing surface difference is there between bullets? You cannot just go by weight.

#2 A Super-Mag case like .338 lapua with 10% less powder charge could be unsafe and prone to detonation.

#3 A solid, like the Barnes 250gr .338 (I have a box I'll sell you!), is a close-range high velocity penetrator. At distance, a matchking will likely perform better as its better BC and thick jacket will retain more velocity and not yaw or tumble on penetration the way a slow moving roundnose bullet will. If you are looking to destroy machinery, then maybe you want the solid.

Either way, I would contact the bullet mfr for load data and go from there.

Re: Loading solids in 338

Swamper, thank you. This is why I ask before I loaded. I just could find any load data with solids. I knew that solids were different but have never loaded for them. I guess I'll have to start sending out emails and PM's.

As for solids being close range penatrators. That depends. Some are made for long range. Thus the high BC's on the LeHigh and GS Custom SP bullets. And I'm not looking for terminal ballistics. My 338 is my <span style="font-style: italic"> lets see how far I can push this bullet</span> gun. Shooting stuff is what my weatherby is for.

Thank you for the offer on the bullets but I hate Barnes. I'm looking for bullets with exceedingly high ballistic coeffients, thus barnes just doesn't cut it.