• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loadng 9mm for a carbine

Broken_Reticle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Philadelphia Tn
More fps with slower powder than normal pistol loads? Better accuracy at 50 yrds?

That is my question. I want to load some thing more built for my Keltec sub2000. Anyone load for a carbine or have quickload to see what it might do...

Thanks
B_R

Re: Loadng 9mm for a carbine

Not always the case, especially with the 9mm and 45 ACP. We ran into this while developing loads for the Marlin Camp Carbines some years back for the Sierra manual. Some loads that delivered good velocity from pistols actually gave less velocity from the longer barrels.

Take a look in the Sierra manuals, and there's a bit of an explanation for each of these calibers as to what we found. Slower burning powders may help in this regard, but you run into the same problem with either of these cartridges; just not enough capacity to take advantage of the real, slow-burning powders.

B R,

I have loaded 9mm and 40 S&W with Alliant Power Pistol to get increased velocities in 16" barrels - anywhere from 150 - 200fps faster than handgun velocities.

Thanks Kevin and Super. I am getting a crono for Christmas so I will really be able to do some work up's. I just wanted to narrow down some powders so I don't spend money on something that won't work..

Broken Reticle,

Only way to know for sure. Can't verify anything unitl you run it over a chronograph. You'll love it, and wonder how you ever got along without one, once you start using it to develop loads.

Congrats, and tell Santa "thanks!"

Another +1 for Power Pistol.

Even less than max loads seem to be moving out of pistols and carbines. I've even shot it in a F/A sten gun and uzi and you can definitely notice the increased rate of fire compared to a weaker round like Wolf but I've never had a chance to chrono any of the loads.

I can say that it doesn't like the plastic in my RCBS Chargemaster or manual powder drop. Must be the solvents or something involved, but it gets sticky against the plastic.