• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loads for .223 Barnes TSX

Gunfighter25

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hawaii
Looking for starting loads for Barnes TSX 62 gr and 70 gr solids. Going to be using a 16-inch, 1:7 twist barrel on an AR upper for hunting and long range. Looked at the .223 loads listed in this forum and the hunting forum. I'm also interested in how your load performs for accuracy so I can gauge how well or badly my rifle/load is doing.

If you have other bullet/load combinations that work well for you, let's take a look. I'm primarily looking at what works in the barrel/rifle/bullet combination listed above as that's what I have to work with.

Thanks in advance

Gunfighter

Re: Loads for .223 Barnes TSX

Bfoosh,

Thanks for the link to the Barnes site. Don't understand something though. Why did they use a 1:12 twist barrel? My understanding is heavier rounds need a faster twist to stabilize in flight. I had a buddy put together a 1:7 twist barrel/upper for me today using a 16-inch, chrome-lined Daniel Defense barrel.

Did okay during the functions check at 50 yards. Will test/zero at 100 yards later, too windy to get a good baseline zero today.

Kinda wanted to know how this round performs on game. Anyone got info to share? Looking to use this on hogs in heavy cover/brush or as a long shot in the open. Looking at the 62 gr or 70 gr TSX/TAC solid HPs.

"...Why did they use a 1:12 twist barrel?..." It's a very popular twist for sporting rifles since the .223 has been with us. Quick twists have become popular with this cartridge in the last 15-20 years. Use the Barnes data with your twist. Start low and work up.

Good luck

Jerry

Just got some Barnes TSX and TACs in 70 gr. Any recommendations on powders? Will be using trimmed and cleaned LC 90 casings. Have Winchester, CCI and Federal primers on hand.

Taper or collet crimp?

Well, finally got some time to accurately load up some of the 70 grain HP BT TSX bullets into the LC90 cases. Used loads of IMR 4895 ranging from 21.5 to 23 grains in 0.5 grain increments and CCI small rifle primers. Loaded to COAL of 2.250 with a light collet crimp in the last cannelure/ring.

Checked cases in a Wilson case gauge to check cases before loading.

Was going to the range tomorrow but will have to put it off until next week due to work and Mother's Day.

The Barnes manual calls for H-4895 but I used IMR-4895 and reduced the charge starting at 21.0 grains. Got a pretty good group at 100 yards (1 MOA) with a little pressure (slightly flattened primers) at 22.0 grains. The 22.5 grain charge had excessive primer flattening so I stopped there.

Will play with range and try to tighten up the load after I get back.

I don't have the same rifle or barrel as you but for what it's worth, I found the best load for my Tikka T3 Lite .223 Remington with Barnes TSX 62 gr and TAC powder was:

Ramshot TAC 23.8 gr
Brass: LC
Trim to: 1.750"
COAL 2.250"
CCI 400 SRP
Barrel (blued not SS) length: 22-7/16"
Twist: 1:8"
Avg mv: 2750 fps chronned
Best group: 4 shots out of 5 within .45" plus 1 flyer that made it a .90" group at 100 yds (off a Harris swivel bipod)

This is a moderate load and not pushing the max. (The Barnes manual lists 24.5 grains of TAC as a maximum load.) Btw, TAC probably isn't the most accurate powder for this bullet but it's a bit cheaper and it meters really well. I also used a Redding Competition seater die with micrometer.

Good luck with your loads. I'm going to work up a load for the TSX 70 gr next.

Thanks RA. Sounds like the start for a good load. B.L.U.F. - didn't get to try the load on a pig so still don't know if it could take one out.

Got back from hunting pigs on the south slopes of Mauna Loa. Zero/scope range check at 50 yards had more than MOA but good enough to hit what I'm looking at.

Guide was trying to push the pigs towards us when a small one turned and charged him. Heard the shot and the guide calling for help, so we safetied the weapons and ran towards the sound. Just about got there when a second shot fired. Then it got real quiet. Double-timed it and found the guide standing and the pig down. Didn't have any cuts or bleeding, but he was plenty excited. Find the signs, it looked like someone had plowed around the tree where the pig was lying.

Between laughing and trying to catch his breath, he told us the pig turned and charged, he fired and caught it right-side in front of the shoulder. Pig went down. He put his rifle down and walked over. Pig jumps up and chases him around the tree. He starts yelling for us to shoot the pig, trying to get to his rifle leaning against another tree. Finally he gets the rifle and snaps off another round and the pig drops. Then we show up.

His rifle - Rem bolt action in .22-250 with a 45 grain Win SP.
The distance all this happened - 60 feet. We were all laughing so loud and trying to take the pig downhill without falling, I forgot to take pictures of the site and the pig.

Off the mountain, it was a year-old boar with two to three-inch tusks, about 150 lbs. Made some excellent smoked pork.

Back to the range and some serious load testing.

My 223 is an AR so everything I do is loaded to mag length. I load the 62gr TSX on top of 25Gr RL15, Win brass, CCI #41 primers.

I have not chrono'd this load as my hunting distances are 150 yd max, but I am figuring ~2800 fps from my 16" 1/9 twist RRA. This guestimate comes from my chrono'd load for 75gr Hornady HPBT at 2675fps from same rifle.

Thanks for the reply and info. Using the 70 gr TSX with 22.0 gr IMR 4895, tried my luck at 450 yards with a 100 yard zero and was pretty impressed. From a bipod, I was able to hit the steel target with 10 mph wind coming from about 1 o'clock. Using hold over and watching the hits, I was able to ring the steel about half the time. Wind blows through the gully and kicks the round around a lot.

All of my brass dumped out behind me at 4 o'clock - slow bolt speed I think but consistant. Still using mil brass LC 90 and Remington 9-1/2 primers.

What dies are you using to reload?

Gunfighter, I have a RRA 16" with 1:9 twist. I used the 53gr TSX FB last year with great results. The deer below weighed 180 on the hoof. I couldn't get him to turn broadside, the only shot I had was from the rear as he was following a doe. The bullet went in his side (can see wound in pic), passed through his lungs, and lodged in his hide on the opposite shoulder. I found the bullet when I was loading him in the truck. I washed the bullet and weighed it..... 53gr!!!!! Long story short, yes they work, just remember it is a small bullet so shot placement is everything!!!
1231080802.jpg

Nice buck Bugg25.

Been playing with this 70gr load and using Hornady 75gr Match as my reference round. With my 1:7 twist, I'm going to try heavier bullets like the 80 and 90 gr bullets with a reduced charge and work it up again.

Will keep this load for light hunting as it still shoots 0.5 MOA. Will also keep your suggestion on shot placement in mind.

Plan is to scout out a couple of hunting areas on the North shore and go back in the spring after the rains.

Thanks Gunfighter.
Are you loading to magazine length or one at a time? I assume by your first post you are still at standard length that will load in the mag. Do they compress the powder a lot? If you want more powder, try a different case, the LC has a smaller capacity, but I still use them as well. Some loads seem like I could just fill the case over the top, scrape it off level with the mouth, and jam in the bullet!!
I havent tried the 70s. I have a match grade AR with a 1:7 twist, but it is a A2 style with a 20" heavy barrel, so I don't know if I would ever take it to the woods.... maybe if I get a chance to hunt over a field with a longer shot!

B-25 - still loading mag length but may extend the bullet out to minimize the jump to the lands to see if this affects accuracy. Actually the load I have now is plenty accurate for the ranges we hunt at - less than 100 yards. Just need to see if this load will take a hog cleanly.

My rifle is heavy when mounted with the scope and bipod, so I've stopped mounting it on the rifle and leave it in the pack.

The load doesn't appear to be compressing the powder a lot. Still pours out after pulling the head. Powder is just below the neck but not quite to the shoulder. Looking at the length of the bullet compared to the neck, it should be compressing the powder a little. The rifle and cartridges don't seem to notice.

I like the LC cases because their thicker walls give me a couple more reloads than some of the commercial brands, they come annealed already and are available. Primer crimp is a pain though. Will probably invest in a Dillon swager in the future.

I got a 1:9 twist AR with 24" barrel.

My accuracy load for the TSX 62gr is also 23.8gr of TAC. It shot a 0.6" five shot group. I loaded it to 2.26" so it would fit in my AR Stoner magazines. Magpul magazines can only support max lengths of 2.25".

AR-15, 16" BCM 1:8 twist SS barrel
LC 09 BRASS
24.5gr RE-15
Rem 7 1/2
2.260" COL
100 yards
Havent crono'ed yet

DSC05227.jpg