• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loads for BL(C)-2

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I looked through the load data for .308 and only found a couple loads using BL(C)2. I just ordered 8lb of it since the other stuff is hard to get. I have some Sierra 150 gamekings and 155 SMK and 175SMK. Any secrets from the pro's?

Re: loads for BL(C)-2

funny, hodgdons site seems to have plenty of loads for that cartridge powder combo. secret form the "pro's" #1: use more than one load book

blc2data.jpg

BL-C(2) is pretty temperature sensitive. Don't work up a max load on a cool day. If you care about groups, best not to let it cook too long either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BL-C(2) is pretty temperature sensitive. Don't work up a max load on a cool day. If you care about groups, best not to let it cook too long either.

</div></div>

What do you mean by "letting it cook"?

I use BLC-2 and it's mil-surp counterpart almost exclusively because I got about 60# of it for under $12 a pound including Hazmat. It works very well for me in 30-06 and 7.62x54R, I haven't shot it in my 308 yet but my dad's 308 seems to like it. The pressure safe accuracy node in both rifles is a little off of max, I'd rather have to dial in a few more MOA and shoot my brass 15x's than have to worry what temp it is on the shooting day and have to find brass after 5x's reloads.

It is dirty in gas guns, my dad's Garand doesn't seem to like it much with 30-06, so he's back to shooting CMP surp ammo for that.

I was refering to the load data posted by the members here. I have the load data published in the books. It just seems nobody is using it anymore. I have my gun working pretty well with RE-15 but I cant get it reliably right now and BL(C)2 is more abundant. The gun is a factory 700SPS with a 24" sporter contour barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BL-C(2) is pretty temperature sensitive. Don't work up a max load on a cool day. If you care about groups, best not to let it cook too long either.

</div></div>

</div></div>

I mean letting it sit in a hot chamber for a while before firing your next shot.

BL-C(2) was perfectly accurate for me on any given day, I just wasn't happy with the variance I got from day to day and temp to temp. I only used about 1.5lb of it before deciding to move on, but what I used could be summed up with "If only it weren't so temp sensitive..."

how much variance are we talking about? Remember I use this gun to hunt with and its not a bench rest rifle.

Ratbert, thanks for the clarification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much variance are we talking about? Remember I use this gun to hunt with and its not a bench rest rifle. </div></div>

In my experience, under those conditions, you won't know a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much variance are we talking about? Remember I use this gun to hunt with and its not a bench rest rifle. </div></div>

In my experience, under those conditions, you won't know a difference.

</div></div>

Agreed.

Thats what I wanted to hear. As long as I dont load to max, I should be fine for hunting purposes, and maybe some casual target shooting.

I have two pet loads I have used in a LTR for various critters #1 51.8 grns blc-2 110 gr sie hp coal 2.601 this load when I developed it, groups got tighter the fast I pushed it .25MOA. it will one hole all day long great pdog and varmint load. #2- 50grns blc-2 125 grn sie GK coal 2.716 shoots .5 MOA this round has taken white tails every year with great results, Ive never had one go more than 5 steps from impact, and antalope its just as good. Sorry I dont use hunting bullets larger than that in this rifle for 150s and 165s for hunting I use a 300 RSAUM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was refering to the load data posted by the members here. I have the load data published in the books. It just seems nobody is using it anymore. I have my gun working pretty well with RE-15 but I cant get it reliably right now and BL(C)2 is more abundant. The gun is a factory 700SPS with a 24" sporter contour barrel. </div></div>

which would bring us to "pro" secret #2: always work up your own loads. what works in one rifle, will not work the same in another. even the variations in lot#'s for the components will throw you off. there are no "shortcuts" to building a reliable round for your rifle. take 100 bullets and run the ladder, it is the only way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BL-C(2) is pretty temperature sensitive. Don't work up a max load on a cool day. If you care about groups, best not to let it cook too long either.

</div></div>

</div></div>

I mean letting it sit in a hot chamber for a while before firing your next shot.

BL-C(2) was perfectly accurate for me on any given day, I just wasn't happy with the variance I got from day to day and temp to temp. I only used about 1.5lb of it before deciding to move on, but what I used could be summed up with "If only it weren't so temp sensitive..."

</div></div>

+1 that has been my experience as well. I noticed different point of impact with as little as 20 degree temp change, up or down. This is loading one round at a time, with 2 mins between shots. I still have nearly that entire pound of BL-C(2).

FWIW Privi Part. 75 gr Match .223 looks like it uses BLC2 based on pulling several cases apart. 23.3gr was the charge which is a little on the light side for chg weight. Not what I would consider a "Match" load, but ok for the price I bought it for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+1 that has been my experience as well. I noticed different point of impact with as little as 20 degree temp change, up or down. This is loading one round at a time, with 2 mins between shots. I still have nearly that entire pound of BL-C(2).

FWIW Privi Part. 75 gr Match .223 looks like it uses BLC2 based on pulling several cases apart. 23.3gr was the charge which is a little on the light side for chg weight. Not what I would consider a "Match" load, but ok for the price I bought it for. </div></div>

I deal with the temp sensitivity by simply shooting over a broad range of temps that I'm likely to see and recording my velocities.

If I'm pumping rounds downrange it will get warm and I take some time between 5 shot strings.

If it's a cold bore shot for a hunting round I haven't had any issue by simply looking at the weather for the day before leaving in the morning, checking the lookup to see how far off a 60 degree day I need to be and then adding the little bit of change. Stays within minute of whitetail.

All in all, for 12 bucks a pound, I won't complain about the results and little extra work I deal with for an otherwise excellent powder.