• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loads for the new 169 SMK?

AN22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
Tennessee
MidwayUSA had some .308 169GR SMK in stock today, so I ordered 200rnd to try out this somewhat new bullet. Load data for this seems to be non-existent however. I figured Sierra would have updated their manual with the new bullet, but their iphone app isn't showing anything. Has anyone seen any published loads, or have any experience to share?

I'm planning to load with IMR 4064.

I figured that would be close enough, 1gr isn't making a significant difference. The longer boattail might add pressure, guess I'll start low and work up.

The longer boat tail would probably shorten bearing surface. Shortened bearing surface would would lower pressure and maybe increase velocity. Less resistance.

David

Reactions: sinister and AN22
In case anyone is interested, this is what Sierra support had to say:

"They are new for 2021 and we have not had time to amend the 168 gr data to add them to that data set, the 168 gr charge data is safe to use, and for an coal I would start at the listed coal for the 168 TMK as they are the most similar in ogive profile and oal base to meplat."

Reactions: sinister
MidwayUSA had some .308 169GR SMK in stock today, so I ordered 200rnd to try out this somewhat new bullet. Load data for this seems to be non-existent however. I figured Sierra would have updated their manual with the new bullet, but their iphone app isn't showing anything. Has anyone seen any published loads, or have any experience to share?

I'm planning to load with IMR 4064.
Back in March I had some very good results with 43.0 - 43.2 grs of IMR-4064 with a COAL of 2.929 and using Fed 210 primers.

Reactions: sinister and AN22
The search function is your friend.

I grabbed a couple boxes of 500 from Midway and liked the price that is less than what I can get the 168 or 175 SMK's for at the moment. Am looking forward to trying them out at 1000 yds as they're doing well at the shorter distances.

Reactions: AN22