• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loads For The Savage 12 LRP 260

Rodeo Trash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Utah
I'm trying to find some good load data for my Savage 12 LRP 260 or just good 260 load. The Savage 12 LRP 260 has a 26" barrel w/ a 1 & 8 twist rate. I've been using 39.5 grns. of Rl-17 with 140 grn. Bergers which does well out to 100 yrds. but then they open up quite a bit as I move out to 200 yrds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Loads For The Savage 12 LRP 260

I have a .260 that did very poorly with the 140s. I put some 4350 under a 123 and the magic started.

I shot with a guy this weekend shooting the same guy you are. He was doing pretty good out to 1000yd with it. He was running H4831 with the 140 AMAX's. I had a Creedmoor and it really liked H4350 with 140 Berger and AMAX's. The 140's are the way to go in 6.5mm bullets. Try the 4350 or 4831 and see how that works. The slower powders will push the 140's more consistently without over pressuring it.

Thanks for the help. I've looked in the reloading section and read quite a few different post in there as well. I am really debating on the Bergers for hunting, I've got friends that have had bad luck with them penciling straight through animals or exploding as soon as they hit heavy bone. One took 9 shots to bring an Elk down with his 300 ultra using the 210 grn. Bergers, all were in the front shoulder. I have also had friends that have great results with them. I'm not trying to start an arguement but just trying to see if anyone else has had any problems with the Bergers for hunting purposes. I will be hunting mostly Mule deer with this rifle so I would like to find a bullet that will perform as well as give me the accuracy that this rifle is capable of as long as I do my part.

I've shot a couple of hogs and a 250 lb ram with my 22" barreled Savage in 260 Rem, all with 140 Berger hunting VLD's. Golfball size exit on all, and dead animals. They shoot great for me in Remington brass, CCI BR-2 primers with 42.7 grains H4350. Gives me right at 2700 FPS with my barrel. Everybody's experience is different, but I've been pleased with them in my limited use so far.

I wonder what the difference will be between a 22" to a 26" barrel is as far as velocity is concerned? It seems that most people shooting the 260 are getting their best results from H4350.

I am a paper puncher out to 600yds. I'm shooting a 13 yr. old Savage Tactical in 260 Rem. 24in. barrel with 8 twist likes it when I feed it 139 Lapua Scenars ontop of 42.5gr. of VV550 in Remington brass. These are running about 2750 to 2775 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what the difference will be between a 22" to a 26" barrel is as far as velocity is concerned? It seems that most people shooting the 260 are getting their best results from H4350.</div></div>

Just a SWAG, but I'd guess out of a 26" barrel my pet load would be around 2800 FPS. I could certainly go hotter, but the 42.7 grains of H4350 was my first try in this rifle and got a .465" group at 100 yards right off the bat, that's as well as I can shoot so I left it there, don't need any more speed for hunting, which is all I use this rifle for.

I'm loading them to 2.900" which puts me at .030" off the lands measured with the Hornady setup. This is still mag loadable in my rifle with it's massive 3.00" detachable magazine.

I'm going to try this load and I also read that the 130 grn. Swift Scirocco SC2"s are a good high bc hunting bullet and they work very well with the H4350 as well. Oh and the Hornady 140 grn. A-Max, just want to read up on these a bit more as far as using them for hunting. I live in Utah so I mostly hunt Mule deer and Elk.