• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loaner/trainer

FrozenMinnesotan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
Ne MN
Looking to put together another build next spring. Looking for 223 or 223ai preferably.
But a higher caliber is fine.

1) Bergara premier pro in 223 only 20"
2) Bergara hmr in 6.5 or 6cm
3) tikka tac a1 in 6.5cm
4)bighorn origin with bravo/b&c in 223 or 223ai
5)tikka ctr with bravo or xray.

I'm wanting something to train and cheaper to shoot out at my local 600 yard range but on the other hand, I have buddies that can't afford these type of rifles or new shooters who I would be happy to lend at a match if they came with.

I have a defiance tenacity with a 6cm barrel right now which is going to have a 5-25 atacr and xray stock in spring too. So a 6 or 6.5 isn't neccessary.

Thoughts? If I go bighorn I won't be able to finish it right away. Whatever I choose will be topped with my athlon midas tac. Am I loosing anything going from bighorn to factory other than swappable bolt heads?

Last edited:
origin bravo give the most room to 'upgrade' and change. bolt heads. shouldered barrels. prefit barrels.

tikka ctr in 223 would be my second pick

+1 for the bergara premier. I'm assuming HMR pro, since you said pro. I love mine. The stock looks to me like it is on par with a KRG bravo, I can only presume though since I haven't handled a bravo, but the construction looks the same, maybe ergonomics are different, but the HMR stock is really good for a polymer stock imo. At least to me, the bergara premier is a better package than a tikka CTR, so that cancels out tikka in a KRG bravo right there. The tikka tac a1 is nice but you can get the same thing with a gen 3 RPR and a few upgrades like butt stock and trigger and probably pay less in the end (I hope I don't catch shit for saying that ?). But I suppose if you're willing to pay a little more, a bighorn origin with a good barrel in a KRG would be a great set up as well.

I can't seem to find one in 223. And I could go bravo. I just sold my bravo off my defiance. I like that i can swap bolt heads and barrels and have a second 6cm or 6.5.

I find the rpr ugly. I could always swap stocks when not shooting the 6 until I get money saved up. For one.

I reccomend an Origin if you don't want to swap barrels on the range. Very smoof and gives you the same multi-cal functionality.

Or you could do a TL3 and run:

6BR
6Dasher
6.5 Grendel
300BO
6Creedmoor
6SLR

Out of the same rifle, during the same range session.
you really need some magnums to round that out

Reactions: Steel head
I reccomend an Origin if you don't want to swap barrels on the range. Very smoof and gives you the same multi-cal functionality.

Or you could do a TL3 and run:

6BR
6Dasher
6.5 Grendel
300BO
6Creedmoor
6SLR

Out of the same rifle, during the same range session.

Correct. The point is the switch barrel system most sale is a gimmick. Shouldered barrels on custom actions need no special lug, nut, or unicorn dust to switch barrels. Just a real machines to spin up a barrel.

There's a 65 RPR with a upgraded trigger rail and I think stock in the classifieds for $1100. Reputable seller