• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lock base bullets are hell on steel

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
Tried some Lapua lockbase bullets in my 338lm and at 500 they were almost going through a 3/8 ar500 full size ipsc plate, muzzle velocity is 3000fps, what is it about this bullet that is causing this. I’ve shot that plate with heavier or faster bullets and never had a single ding in the plate.

Maybe but I’ve shot that target with that gun but with 200g bullets going 200fps faster and nothing happened

200gr is light for 338 isn't it? run the numbers with 250/300gr

Bullet construction is a factor. Targets are specified for the worst case scenario.

That you didn't have issue before tells me you got lucky.

I thought I read something years ago about that specific bullet acting almost like ap rounds but I could have been mistaken.

Thats weird. My 3/8 Ar500 targets have taken thousands and thousands of various magnums including 338 lm. Even a 416 barrett with brass solids doesnt do anything.

Maybe but I’ve shot that target with that gun but with 200g bullets going 200fps faster and nothing happened
~1700 ft-lbs Vs ~2800 ft-lbs @ 500 yards which exceeds the ratings on a 3/8" plate