• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Locktite or rockset or nothing for mounting muzzle brake on proof barrel

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Just received my origin 6.5CM barreled action from bugholes after a 3 month wait :cool:

Time to install my sico asr compatible muzzle brake so that I can use my omega with this rifle. Only thing is I have never personally mounted a brake so I have some questions and would appreciate some advice.

I plan to take it to a local shop where patrons are kindly allowed to use their vice and tools. I intend to secure the barrel in the vise using a towel or something to ensure my new proof barrel is not marred by said vice. I have my sico provided 5/8th shims and understand that I need to get everything timed properly so it lines up.

My question is do I need to use any thread locker or is elbow grease sufficient to keep it from coming off. If I do need to use thread locker is a couple drops of blue locktite before I add torque sufficient?

I know folks like using rockset but I am worried about not being able to get it off and hence hesitant. Appreciate any advice as I have never mounted a brake before. Thanks!

Attachments

• origin barreled action.jpg
    origin barreled action.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 130
I didn’t put anything but the shims in for mine and it’s never came loose.

I use locktite RED for brakes and qd. Rockset is really hard to get off. The red locktite isn't easy but with heat, it can be taken off. If you are really sure you won't ever want to take it off, go ahead and rockset it. If you aren't, then I'd use locktite red. The blue isn't quite up to what a qd needs imo. You have to torque it pretty good to get it timed well and on there well too.

If instructions are followed Rocksett takes not much more torque to break than what you tightened the item with. Cleanup from threads can be a pain but hot water will do it.

There is high temperature "blue" (medium strength) Loc-tite out there but it is difficult to find, especially in small containers.

Rockset is the way to go especially if you're shooting suppressed. Loctite will come loose when hot.
Rockset is water soluble, just boil muzzle for about 10 min in water and it comes right off.

Reactions: Red343 and Adam B
My smith could not get my brake off without destroying it and yes I followed directions from rocksett. so I did not have a good experience

Blue loctite here. Never had an issue. Bolt guns down to SBR’s

Just use the little packet of rocksett that came with it. I just do a drop or two, you don’t need every thread dripping wet.
If it does happen to be tight for your chicken arms then sitting it muzzle down in a cup of water overnight will take care of it.
It’s a hell of a lot better to take off and clean up than loctite in my opinion.

Last edited:
Rockset and torque. Or whatever the manufacture says to do. Blue or red loctite is a waste of time. A little rockset goes a long ways.

Just to mirror what most have said. All previous attempts to loctite have come loose eventually. (Blue & red)

Used rockset very sparingly as instructed. As the name suggests.... solid as a rock and doesn’t work loose eventually. Had to remove one brake to switch between barrels.... again following manufacturers guidance it was a breeze to get off with hot water and very easy to clean up the threads.

Dealing with hot water is a lot easier to deal with rather than a blow torque. Once softened just hand tools needed, no vice etc.

Have always used Rocksett. I tried Red loctite on my DT SRS and CB muzzle brake, had the CB twist off with the can when it got heated up. Let it cool and the loctite locked back up allowing me to remove the Ultra 9 from the cb... went home and went back to trusty Rocksett.

I prefer rockset, and always shim or machine the brake so it times with minimal torque. If you use a large amount of torque to time the device, you risk distortion of the barrel bore at it's most crucial point. Never had a lightly torqued rockset device come loose on me. NEVER put a hot suppressor on a cold muzzle device. It will lock up every time and be very hard to get off and possibly loosen a muzzle device.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I prefer rockset, and always shim or machine the brake so it times with minimal torque. If you use a large amount of torque to time the device, you risk distortion of the barrel bore at it's most crucial point. Never had a lightly torqued rockset device come loose on me. NEVER put a hot suppressor on a cold muzzle device. It will lock up every time and be very hard to get off and possibly loosen a muzzle device.

Yeah I shim em all too. I just had a bad experience with rockset so I went with the red locktite but definitely shim regardless

High temp, high strength Loctite is what I usually use. Haven't had one come off yet, and when I want to remove them, a bit of heat from a MAP gas torch gets 'er done.

I use red locktite on all of my muzzle breaks. Never an issue and I like the added comfort knowing that they aren’t coming off especially when I attach my suppressor.

How do you guys clean your muzzle crown after every range session if it is glued on?.....pfft....I use nothing...Area 419 Sidewinder Magnum self timing....put on hand tight....had to wrap it with a rag and use channel locks to get it off....it was TIGHT.

But yes...I actually clean my crown after a match.

How do you guys clean your muzzle crown after every range session if it is glued on?.....pfft....I use nothing...Area 419 Sidewinder Magnum self timing....put on hand tight....had to wrap it with a rag and use channel locks to get it off....it was TIGHT.

KG1 on a Q-tip.

C4 carbon remover on Qtip. Squeaky clean. Do it every time after I shoot. Regardless if its 20 rounds or 200.

Just to mirror what most have said. All previous attempts to loctite have come loose eventually. (Blue & red)

Used rockset very sparingly as instructed. As the name suggests.... solid as a rock and doesn’t work loose eventually. Had to remove one brake to switch between barrels.... again following manufacturers guidance it was a breeze to get off with hot water and very easy to clean up the threads.

Dealing with hot water is a lot easier to deal with rather than a blow torque. Once softened just hand tools needed, no vice etc.

So you just stick the muzzle into a cup of hot water or something and let it soak to loosen it? Just trying to ensure i understand....

Thank you everyone for the input...lots ways to do this it seems lol

Rockset does seem more popular than not .....

So you just stick the muzzle into a cup of hot water or something and let it soak to loosen it? Just trying to ensure i understand....
Yep. It gets hard as shit and can take hella heat but it is water soluble so an overnight soaking usually makes it soft enough that a firm whap with my fist in the wrench pops it right loose with no trouble. I’m sure it could come off sooner too, I just like to let things soak and make it easy on myself.

You can also boil it if you want it done quick but my stove is on an island so I’m not gonna stand there holding it or pile crap around to keep it upright long enough for water to boil.

Reactions: eugevita