• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Locktite removal from screws and bases

clos9009

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2008
Denver, CO Manassa,CO
I bought a gun over the net, and when i tried to take off the bases, it looked as if they were glued on. (all around both front and real looked like to be a Carmel color coating) Finally got he bases off but the receiver is still covers in this stuff as well as the bases and screws. I soaked the bases and screws in Shooters Choice solvent but the stuff is still there. What can i use to get this stuff off with out too much hassle. When i started to remove some it the stuff it is almost a white to off white in color.

Thanks

Re: Locktite removal from screws and bases

Give acetone a try. MEK or brake cleaner would also be good solvents to try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heat.....small flame should do </div></div>

+1 The flame will make it soft and easy to come off. You can also soak in MEK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is MEK???
</div></div>

methyl ethyl Ketone....bad shit....will warp your DNA

Aircraft® Paint Remover - Aerosol is the best product I have used for removing dried on Locktite. I have found it to be safe for use on aluminum and other gun metals without harm to any finish I have used it on and have had no trouble finding it any any of the chain auto part stores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is MEK???
</div></div>

methyl ethyl Ketone....bad shit....will warp your DNA </div></div>

Never know, DNA warpage might be a good thing for some. But yes, bad shit for normal folks.

Sounds like the base was bedded.

MEK, heat, or turn a can of compressed air upside down and freeze it and GENTLY tap it off.

If it is fiberglass....MEK either way.

If you use MEK do it outside, or with a proper respirator, that shit is bad

MEK, yeah great stuff but like mentioned just do it in a well vented area (like in the driveway or something). You'd be suprised what you can do with the stuff.

I got a bunch in my eyes when a hose fitting broke while under pressure on an industrial airless paint set-up (yes was wearing safely glasses) and spent hours and hours in the emergency room, besides it fucking hurt like hell.

I am still waiting on a response from the original owner as to what he did or what he used. so i will have a course of action.

Sounds like MEK is the way to go. will it also take off the guns finish as i am not wanting to do that. And how hard is it to take off the trigger group so i can apply the MEK and do a through cleaning of all parts, barrel, receiver holes and trigger group.

If its a 700 just drifting two pins will pull the trigger assembley. The bolt stop spring can sometimes require a third hand. If your not real familiar with it take a photo first (of the bolt stop spring).

Thanks Everydody. I am checking to see if my buddy has some drift punches. So will the MEK take off the finish of the rifle, just wondering, as soon as i take a picture and get the trigger group off i'll just need to get what is left of the lock tite out of the threads in the holes, then i will hose down with break cleaner and put back together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Everydody. I am checking to see if my buddy has some drift punches. So will the MEK take off the finish of the rifle, just wondering, as soon as i take a picture and get the trigger group off i'll just need to get what is left of the lock tite out of the threads in the holes, then i will hose down with break cleaner and put back together. </div></div>

If it's factory finish no. Some kind of paint or coating, maybe if you let it soak.

Ok so here is the up date. I took off the trigger group. Hosed down the receiver and barrel with break cleaner. put the trigger group back which took about 10min. re-lubed the trigger group and took the bolt apart. hosed that down with break cleaner and re-lubed and put back together. I got the threads and screws clean but soaking them in nail polish remover for a bit. and now all i have to do is put the whole thing back together clean the barrel real good and Shoot it.

Thanks every one for your input.