• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Loctite on turrets?

shnipöw

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Obviously there are many who asks about whether to put loctite on scope-rings or not. However, when it comes to the allens screws to the turret caps (that are loosen when setting zero) I cannot find anyone who asks this (stupid?) question. I never even thought of doing such a thing either... until today when I notice that on my new Schmidt & Bender PMII scope that the allen screws come loose for the turret cap for windage after each shot. Even though I tightened it quite a bit (but still trying to not over tighten it) it comes loose. I don't have this problem with elevation turret. Only the windage one.

Any ideas?

(For the record I did lift the turret cap completely off at one point when adjusting zero. In the instruction it only tells you to lift the cap up 2mm, just so you barely see the o-ring. Did I mess something up by removing it completely? )

Are there possibly any torque specs for these screws? Should you apply a tiny bit of loctite on them? I guess it would be an issue when I then need to reset zero when trying different ammo...

Thanks guys.

Loctite shouldn't be necessary. I've always tightened them down snug while holding the short section of the appropriate sized allen key. It's possible you didn't tighten them down enough. Referencing your previous post regarding debris on your internal lenses, call S&B and send it back. Tell them about the issue with the set screw and have them go over the scope.

Purple loctite. It's for threads that have to e moved periodically. But, I would check S&B first.

Loctite shouldn't be necessary. I've always tightened them down snug while holding the short section of the appropriate sized allen key. It's possible you didn't tighten them down enough. Referencing your previous post regarding debris on your internal lenses, call S&B and send it back. Tell them about the issue with the set screw and have them go over the scope.
Yes, that sounds like a good move.. Thanks.