• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Logical next step

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
This is kind of a general reloading question, I guess, although it is about a specific load.

I am working on load development for my new LaRue 20" rifle.

First ammo I ran through it was factory loaded CorBon 55 grain. Not ideal for the 8 twist, but it shot right at 1 moa @ 100 yds.

I then loaded some 69 and 77 grain SMK's in LC 1x cases with Varget.

It shot both loads well. With a slight nod, maybe, to the 77 grain bullet. I only put about 50 of each through it, so I still have a lot to do. Based on this bit of data, what would be the logical next step.

I was getting real close to 1/2 moa @ 100 yards consistently with both loads, but the best groups were with the 77s in front of 23.7 grains of Varget. It did not shoot any better with 1/2 grain less or 1/2 grain more.

At 200 yards, the MOA doubled. In other words, I got 1/2 moa at 100(1/2") and 1 moa at 200(2"). I want to know what to try first to improve the groups at longer ranges as this rifle was put together to shoot from 100 to 650 yards.

Lastly, I dont own a chrony, currently.

Re: Logical next step

keep the everything the same and switch the primer mfg. Only change one thing at a time! Then maybe swich the brass to Lapua.

They are all different. One thing at a time and your will find it!

this is where having a reloading setup that you can take to the range with you really pays off!

Terry

I would change primers first. I have witnessed a gun at the range with a lead sled and his hand loads. First time he came out the load was all touching. Same conditions as the first time, only difference was the primer, same load same everything. Second time was a lot worse grouping with just a primer change. I know that its hard to find different primers right now but that would be the first thing I changed.

After that make a smaller change in powder insted of a full half grain try .2 grains, or try a completely different powder. But as was said, only change one thing at a time.

I have quite a bit of Lapua brass and a bunch of 205M's but figured they would be wasted in a semi. Especially the brass.

I will load up 50 77 grain SMK's in new Lapua brass with 205M's and see what I get.