• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loging rounds through the barrel

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
Into how much detail should the rounds put through the barrel be loged? Should I log every single one or rather maintain a rough idea how much went through it?

The same goes for range log, what is the best procedure? Loging every hit right after it was shot or strings of rounds? I am looking for the best procedure to learn the most.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Loging rounds through the barrel

I do it after every few weekends, easy to do by counting brass fired in that specific rifle.
Its always good to take detailed notes (cold bore shot shift, round count, dope notes, etc), it doesnt matter how you log, just that you try to do it often enough that it doesnt get forgoten.

Kirk R

I am going to start with my new rifle. I am just going to track how many boxes of ammo I went through that day...If i shot 3 boxes thats 60 rounds. Thats all. I would also just record it that day you your not second guessing your self.

GG

I log every group along with weather conditions and re-loading data.

I used to until I reached 9 thousand rounds thru one of my .308s. When it doesn't shoot I'll replace the barrel until then why? Every barrel is different.

I log each group not just to keep track of total counts through the barrel, but more importantly to keep track of how different handloads are performing, and what scope adjustments are needed in differing weather conditions.

I log each shot as I attempt to call my shots before I score them.... Basic USMC practice to call your shots as it helps you figure out what you have done right & wrong....

I log the rounds fired after every session. I put a star next to the number if I clean afterwords.