• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lol nice try DISH network, nice try

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Got a random notice that they are shipping me a new voice activated remote control with some sort of Google shit on it, for free.

I didn't ask for it. Nothing is wrong with my regular remotes. Just randomly get an email that they're shipping one to me.

Yeah, that isn't fucking obvious now, is it?

Do people actually fall for this shit? Looks like the Amazon Echo and some sort of Google voice call thing someone got us a while ago will have a new friend in the 'shit we didnt open and will never use' box in the closet.

Until midnight last night, I could watch you tube by only allowing one script. Now I have to allow two, guess who owns that one. Also past midnight more for the "Mark of the beast" have popped up. Which means to watch a embedded video you now have to allow 666 to know all about your internet habits, if your lazy.

Got a random notice that they are shipping me a new voice activated remote control with some sort of Google shit on it, for free.

I didn't ask for it. Nothing is wrong with my regular remotes. Just randomly get an email that they're shipping one to me.

Yeah, that isn't fucking obvious now, is it?

Do people actually fall for this shit? Looks like the Amazon Echo and some sort of Google voice call thing someone got us a while ago will have a new friend in the 'shit we didnt open and will never use' box in the closet.

----------
    Looks like the Amazon Echo and some sort of Google voice call thing someone got us a while ago will have a new friend in the 'shit we didnt open and will never use' box in the closet.
    ----------

Get rid of them and do not even allow that shit into your household again...

Been seeing commercials for the new Amazon Echo Auto. Because you know God forbid there is anywhere you can't be listened too, monitored and tracked via GPS to precise locations.

State Farm did something similar with their vehicle tracking devices to "give us a discount" on our bill. They are still in the box around here somewhere.

Reactions: TACC
    had a echo show up in my amazon cart. no one knows how it got there yesterday. trying to slip one in on me

Reactions: TACC
    turn it off all you want its still tracking you . ever where you go how long you were there what you said or what others say near you that it can pick up your being recorded know it or not approve it or not .like the lady a few years ago who heard the peepers talking to her baby via the baby monitor if its wireless someone can hack it . including those driver less cars .

turn it off all you want its still tracking you . ever where you go how long you were there what you said or what others say near you that it can pick up your being recorded know it or not approve it or not

No, there are ways to avoid being tracked 24/7.

I like the one where I don't have any electronic devices on my person, but I do have a good bolt rifle and extree shells.
    Start by downloading no apps to your phone and by deleting as many as you can of those that it came with.

When on the go
    1. Never use the location features
    2. Never use the internet
    3. Never use wifi
    4. Lots of other tricks if you look

State Farm did something similar with their vehicle tracking devices to "give us a discount" on our bill. They are still in the box around here somewhere.
    I have no idea why anyone would use one of those. You are going to be hard pressed to prove to me that they are not data mining/tracking and selling that data. If they were just monitoring your driving habits they could make it a requirement.

The fact that they offer a discount if you opt in should be the clue. If everyone opted in and it is a 10% discount I believe. St farm would loose millions. They have to make that up somewhere.

image.jpg

Do you have smartphones in the house? I’ve had advertisements pop up on my phone that I never searched for. Only talked about said item with someone. They’re already listening.

Im willing to bet you have facebook messenger on your phone.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Start by downloading no apps to your phone and by deleting as many as you can of those that it came with.

When on the go
    1. Never use the location features
    2. Never use the internet
    3. Never use wifi
    4. Lots of other tricks if you look

Good advice, but really just makes your phone a paper weight. Location is needed in order to use weather apps. Which is essential to me because of shooting/hunting/fishing. Have to be able to look and see if my ass is going to get rained on.

I never use wifi. Ever. You CAN use the internet. Just download a VPN app. Protonmail makes a good one. And its free.

And even if you do never use location, wifi or the internet, your phone is pinging towers constantly when youre, on the go. So...

I never, ever throw things like this away. Why clutter up a landfill or a perfectly good closet? For the last seven years the procedure is the same: unbox, measure to determine MOA, carefully place at base of the 425yd berm, DOPE check...

One device did get powered up against my protestations, Alexa. A few weeks later I yelled something at the dogs and Alexa replied. I had not planned on a range trip that day.

Good advice, but really just makes your phone a paper weight. Location is needed in order to use weather apps. Which is essential to me because of shooting/hunting/fishing. Have to be able to look and see if my ass is going to get rained on.

I never use wifi. Ever. You CAN use the internet. Just download a VPN app. Protonmail makes a good one. And its free.

And even if you do never use location, wifi or the internet, your phone is pinging towers constantly when youre, on the go. So...

I check the weather once when I leave home. If I need atmospherics for shooting there are other ways to collect that data without using the 4G network.

Good tip on Protonmail. Can I download it without a google account? Because I don't have a google account, not even a fake one (another tip I forgot about)

True about the phone pinging towers. You can power it down and it won't do so any more. You can also use a burner and give your "real" phone to someone else for some period of time.

More to follow

Do you have smartphones in the house? I’ve had advertisements pop up on my phone that I never searched for. Only talked about said item with someone. They’re already listening.

My guess is you have some Facebook product installed on your phone and active.
    It's pretty common knowledge that all the facebook software stuff on your phone is constantly listening to everything you do, say or hear in order to sell some stupid company "relevant ads" that are targeted to you.

I'm still waiting for the Purism Librem 5 phone I ordered to ship. It promises to be interesting in the privacy department.

User removable cell modem and wifi modem and hardware power kill switches for each of the communication options.

Open source software and doesn't run any of the android applications.

It should be interesting to try out.

Reactions: earthquake
    Portal from Amazon.. A camera and microphone that connects to the Internet and transmits all of your activities and conversations.. What can possibly go wrong with that?

Joe Rogan just had Ed Snowden on his podcast. Interesting listen for sure. Bunch of shit most of us already know, especially if you’re in tech. Still worth a listen though

Speakers can be used as microphones. Takes only the most basic rewiring to do so, really nothing a USB or PC couldn't do in general configurations.

No one has ever cared what I think or what I say before why the fuck would they want to bug my house now? Listen to me yell fuck at television? Talk baby talk to my dogs, bone the old lady? Zero fucks given. Listen away. I'm probably on so many lists now I wish we could just get this shit going before I get any older and meaner.

Reactions: SCRAM2013