• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lone Peak Fuzion 6bra Manners TCS

Mudflap621

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
So I’ve got a few questions for the experts here regarding my first custom build.

LP Fuzion
PVA 6BRA 26” proof contour
Manners TCS

First thing is I’m totally new to the bra and will be first time fireforming. I’ve got a healthy supply of Varget as well as 4064 but looking for any experience in possibly fireforming with 4064 to conserve Varget

What is the recommended charge weight while fireforming? I’ve read reports of people using roughly 29-30 grains of Varget but haven’t seen any info about using 4064

From my research it seems most like to get some rounds down the barrel and brass fire formed before starting load development. I have 300 peices of virgin Lapua as well as 500 hornady HPBT. I was thinking of starting by forming 100 and see how it shoots the HPBT than possibly decide if I’m going to run this projo or just use them to fireform.

Next I’m wondering if anyone has experience running AW mags with the LP in a manners mini-chassis. I’d like to try them but have no experience with the AW ma and from reading find they can be finicky.

Thanks for your time!

For my 6BRA, I fireform with a full 6BR load. I personally use H4895, and 29.5 grains has proven to be a great shooting load.

I don't use Varget, but you can look up what charge weight people are using with Varget f(or 4064) or regular 6BR.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about load development until you shoot ~150 rounds. You can test projectiles right away, it's either going to shoot or it isn't. But I wouldn't worry too much about fully fleshing out a load until your barrel stops speeding up.

When your barrel does get to speed, ~2930 fps is a nice velocity sweet spot to be in with 6BRA. Quite honestly, almost every velocity shoots great if your reloading practices are good and you are using quality components and reloading gear.

Never have used AW mags, so no comment there.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Regarding the aw mags.

mine run great with the hrd mag kit in the lone peak in a ba chasis

Thanks guys looks like I’m somewhat heading in the right direction.

kthonas already said everything I would have. H4895 is a solid powder for 6BR/BRA. It will suite you well. As for the mags, I run AW’s with this kit for my 6BR. Zero issues.

kthonas already said everything I would have. H4895 is a solid powder for 6BR/BRA. It will suite you well. As for the mags, I run AW’s with this kit for my 6BR. Zero issues.

Thanks Lunchbox, I have that mag kit and aw mag in my cart over at sap as we speak lol. I do understand that h4895 is a great powder but it does me no good not having it and being so hard to come by. I do have a decent supply of varget with which will be my main powder but I was looking for any load info for imr 4064 for the fire forming process. I did find some data with xbr8208 so might try that as well as I have a few lbs.

It sounds like 4064 should work well for fireforming (assuming 105-ish gr), here is some data. I do a similar thing, fireforming with VV N140 but full power with H4895.

It sounds like 4064 should work well for fireforming (assuming 105-ish gr), here is some data. I do a similar thing, fireforming with VV N140 but full power with H4895.
Thanks for the info. Ive been searching but this is the first actual numbers I've found for 4064!

Thanks for the info. Ive been searching but this is the first actual numbers I've found for 4064!

I shoot 6BRA as well, running the numbers in Quickload suggests a fireforming load around 29.0gr to 29.4 of IMR4064 with a 105 BTHP to match the pressures for my normal Varget FF load. You should be looking for fireforming velocity somewhere around 2750fps on the low end to 2825fps on the high end with your 26" barrel, might start out slow and speed up. If you run XBR for fire-forming your load is likely around 28.3-28.7gr.

Additional thumbs up for the HRD AW mag kits, I run those in AW mags in multiple different actions with good success. Yes, you probably will need to adjust the mags to dial in the feeding just right.

Tips for adjusting the mags...

• Get yourself one of the MPA feed lip adjustment tools for bending the feed lips.
  • Measure the width between lips front and rear as you go. Front should be just a bit narrower than rear. I found that I typically have to open the feed lips wider than they come from factory. Careful not to open them too wide, you might prevent magazine from being able to latch or prevent the rounds from being retained inside the mag.
  • Would recommend tuning the mags for feeding with your primary bullet, not with the 105BTHP if those are just for fire forming.
  • You can pull the HRD insert out and bend the spring fore-aft to adjust the pressure/angle of the follower. I've had to adjust to make it a bit rear heavy so the case head goes all the way up against the feed lips as the mag gets toward the last rounds.
  • Load up 20-30 rounds and do a bunch of test feeding to see where adjustments are needed. Sometimes using your cell phone camera in slow-mo can video why/how a case doesn't feed properly.

I shoot 6BRA as well, running the numbers in Quickload suggests a fireforming load around 29.0gr to 29.4 of IMR4064 with a 105 BTHP to match the pressures for my normal Varget FF load. You should be looking for fireforming velocity somewhere around 2750fps on the low end to 2825fps on the high end with your 26" barrel, might start out slow and speed up. If you run XBR for fire-forming your load is likely around 28.3-28.7gr.

Additional thumbs up for the HRD AW mag kits, I run those in AW mags in multiple different actions with good success. Yes, you probably will need to adjust the mags to dial in the feeding just right.

Tips for adjusting the mags...

• Get yourself one of the MPA feed lip adjustment tools for bending the feed lips.
  • Measure the width between lips front and rear as you go. Front should be just a bit narrower than rear. I found that I typically have to open the feed lips wider than they come from factory. Careful not to open them too wide, you might prevent magazine from being able to latch or prevent the rounds from being retained inside the mag.
  • Would recommend tuning the mags for feeding with your primary bullet, not with the 105BTHP if those are just for fire forming.
  • You can pull the HRD insert out and bend the spring fore-aft to adjust the pressure/angle of the follower. I've had to adjust to make it a bit rear heavy so the case head goes all the way up against the feed lips as the mag gets toward the last rounds.
  • Load up 20-30 rounds and do a bunch of test feeding to see where adjustments are needed. Sometimes using your cell phone camera in slow-mo can video why/how a case doesn't feed properly.
Thanks Sheldon this is very helpful to get me started!

Reactions: Sheldon N
Aw mags w/ hrd kits on the way. Now if only my barrel would show up. 😢
30F4BEB7-A252-4F4D-BE85-FA1A55178EFF.jpeg