• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LonePeak Fuzion and Deviant

HuntND

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
North Dakota
I am wandering if there’s something wrong with my Lonepeak I just picked up, I read all the reviews about how smooth they were so I picked up a like new one for a build, they are very nice but the cock on open at the top and close is considerably more than my deviant I own, it’s very noticeable, The deviant Opens and closes with really no resistance, it’s just smooth, The Fuzion simply doesn’t, it takes way more force to open at the top and snaps open, closing is fairly smooth. Is this how they all are? Do they break in? Thanks

Last edited:
Neither is mine but I feel like the LP will hold up better to dust and dirt.
My lone peak is not as smooth as my defiance deviant

Is your deviants dlc or stainless? Just curious as I am hoping to grab a lp at some point and currently have a deviant stainless and impact, and my buddy has a dlc deviant. Just looking for a reference in comparison.

Do both your deviants have more cycles then the lp? You just hear how they are the lightest lift and smoothest bolt and in this thread with 5 posts 3 are saying the opposite.

Both of mine are coated, My deviant has been the same since it was brand new only about 300 shots on it, The LonePeak I bought used from somebody who bought it from somebody else and was told there was 60 shots on it. I will post a video if I can on what it does, but the best I can describe is that the bolt lift is okay right up until the top where it has to cam over, and then it takes a lot of force, basically I have to use my entire hand. Then it has a snap to it when it opens. The deviant does not have this. The deviant is smooth all the way through the lift. No snapping, basically I can run the deviant slow with one finger.
I’m not sure the LonePeak will break in as this seems more like the design. There could also be something wrong with this one I have, I’m not sure. Maybe if somebody out there has a video of there Super slick Lonepeak and run it slow for me that will tell me if mine is functioning correctly. But as of now, I prefer the deviant.

That doesn't sound right.

My wife's LP Fuzion just snaps open almost on itself, and it's barely broken in.

Breaking it in did make some difference initially, but it's not a drastic difference.

Another factor that effects how a bolt action "feels" is the interface between the action and trigger. This interface should be optimized (no matter the action) through trigger timing if you want the action to feel the best it can.

One of the reasons I use BnA triggers - I can do this myself at home with Allen keys.

Perhaps you have too much sear engagement with the trigger. Are you using a TT trigger?

Both of mine are coated, My deviant has been the same since it was brand new only about 300 shots on it, The LonePeak I bought used from somebody who bought it from somebody else and was told there was 60 shots on it. I will post a video if I can on what it does, but the best I can describe is that the bolt lift is okay right up until the top where it has to cam over, and then it takes a lot of force, basically I have to use my entire hand. Then it has a snap to it when it opens. The deviant does not have this. The deviant is smooth all the way through the lift. No snapping, basically I can run the deviant slow with one finger.
I’m not sure the LonePeak will break in as this seems more like the design. There could also be something wrong with this one I have, I’m not sure. Maybe if somebody out there has a video of there Super slick Lonepeak and run it slow for me that will tell me if mine is functioning correctly. But as of now, I prefer the deviant.
As kthomas said, sounds like a trigger issue. Only other thing it could be is a defect in the cocking cam, which would be easy to see.

Also, your bolt is nitrided, not dlc’d. Unless someone did the dlc after it came from Lone Peak. In either case though, no break-in will happen. You may notice some change over its life, but only after many thousands of cycles.

Reactions: kthomas
Is your deviants dlc or stainless? Just curious as I am hoping to grab a lp at some point and currently have a deviant stainless and impact, and my buddy has a dlc deviant. Just looking for a reference in comparison.

Do both your deviants have more cycles then the lp? You just hear how they are the lightest lift and smoothest bolt and in this thread with 5 posts 3 are saying the opposite.
My deviant is nitride. Bna tacsport pro 2 stage in all my rifles. There is nothing wrong with my lone peak, it just isn’t quite as smooth as my other actions. I do all my shooting from a bench or prone, no competition shooting, so I run my bolt slow. When you run them fast it’s hard to feel any difference

My deviant is nitride. Bna tacsport pro 2 stage in all my rifles. There is nothing wrong with my lone peak, it just isn’t quite as smooth as my other actions. I do all my shooting from a bench or prone, no competition shooting, so I run my bolt slow. When you run them fast it’s hard to feel any difference

Hmm thank you. A buddy has a lone peak coming this year at some point so hopefully I can finally get my hands on one.

I think "smooth" is a bad way to characterize actions. Certainly it can be a factor to consider, but I think there's many other factors that are just as, if not more important to consider.

If I had to rate my actions on "smoothness", I guess my polished and DLC'ed Defiant Deviant is my top action. For a dedicated bench gun, out of all of my actions, this is the one I would pick. It's slick as snot and it's tight.

That said, from a "smoothness" side of things, I have no complaints about the LP. My wife's LP feels really nice, I have a hard time seeing how someone would take issue with it. But everyone is different, "smooth" is subjective, and can be quantified in many different ways. What may feel "smooth" to me doesn't feel "smooth" to you.

Reactions: jmw

My Lone Peak is nitrided, running a Calvin Elite trigger, the Deviant is the factory stainless finish with a Jewell. I am not seeing bolt lift issues with either. The Deviant just feels like it is riding on butter while the LP has a more metal on metal feel.

I'm very happy with both actions and purchased the LP to stand up to more adverse conditions.

Reactions: Matt_3479
My Lone Peak is nitrided, running a Calvin Elite trigger, the Deviant is the factory stainless finish with a Jewell. I am not seeing bolt lift issues with either. The Deviant just feels like it is riding on butter while the LP has a more metal on metal feel.

I'm very happy with both actions and purchased the LP to stand up to more adverse conditions.
Thank you.

I think "smooth" is a bad way to characterize actions. Certainly it can be a factor to consider, but I think there's many other factors that are just as, if not more important to consider.
Agreed on this. I just got a GAP tempest this weekend. The bolt lift and close were atrocious compared with my Fuzion (smoothed out a lot after cycling the bolt a few hundred times). But it runs back and forth in the raceway like there's no friction at all. They're both "smooth", but in different ways. Running the tempest slow is awful compared to the LP. Running the LP fast is "awful" compared to the Tempest.

As far as OP needing to use his whole hand to lift the Fuzion bolt, I'm guessing it's a sear engagement issue.

Reactions: kthomas