• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Action 6.5 caliber

kyreloader

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Bluegrass State of Kentucky
I have a long action (right now in 6.5x284) Winchester 70 that is needing a new barrel. I like the ballistics of the 6.5x284, but do not like the barrel life. I have bullets for 6.5 and would like to stay in the 6.5 family with my new barrel.

What caliber would you recommend for a new barrel?

Few points, I would like longer barrel life and I am willing to give up some long range ballistics to get there. I would like to go with 6.5x47 or 6.5CM, but dont know how well that round would do in a long action. What about a 6.5x55? 6.5-06? Is the barrel life any better for either of those calibers versus a 6.5x284?

I may just say screw it and chamber for 284 win or .284 Shehane and shoot 180g Bergers, but would like to stay 6.5.

Help please.

Re: Long Action 6.5 caliber

6,5x55 should yield about 2500-3000 rnds of good solid precision,

there are no flies on a 6,5x55 set up to take the long range VLD:s set at the right lenght.

a 6,5-06 is another nobrainer with lots of power, about 2000 rnds according to some of the guys that shoot it here in Sweden.

Take care and best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothig wrong with a 6.5 Swede IMO </div></div>

Great choice for a all around gun with better barrel life.

I've been having very good success with my 260AI. Very accurate.
Fireforming is no problem since it shoots the fireform loads awesome.

To extend barrel life, you have to reduce velocity, and powder charge. Since you have a long action, I'd lean to the 6.5x55 based on barrel life. With a 6.5-06, you are keeping about the same powder as the 284, but you are reducing the width of the powder column going into a 6.5 bore, too. The 6.5x55 would yield the longest barrel life out of these 2 rounds. But, I'd go 6.5-06, since barrels can be replaced and you can load down the round if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To extend barrel life, you have to reduce velocity, and powder charge. Since you have a long action, I'd lean to the 6.5x55 based on barrel life. With a 6.5-06, you are keeping about the same powder as the 284, but you are reducing the width of the powder column going into a 6.5 bore, too. The 6.5x55 would yield the longest barrel life out of these 2 rounds. But, I'd go 6.5-06, since barrels can be replaced and you can load down the round if you want. </div></div>

Only down side is lapua only ever made like 1 run of 06 brass. Its available for the swede all the time.

IMHO, the 6.5x55 is the better answer.

I have experimented with the .25-'06 and the .280 (a 7mm-'06), and consider the 280 to be the lower limit of bore diameters that are truly efficient with the '06 case capacity; similar to my belief that the .260 (6.5-'08) is the lower bore diameter limit for efficient applications of the '08's case capacity. IMHO smaller diameters than these result in an overbore condition. This is matter of my own personal opinion, and I have no motivation to dispute any claims to the contrary.

My vote would be a 6.5x55BJAckley. But the plain 6.5x55 would also be just fine in a LA. Or 260Rem and you can seat the bullets really long to chase the lands.

How much better are these other choices then just a Remington .260? If just for fun I can't see the others but if match shooting is the only concern then why try and extend barrel life? Shoot the ultimate 6.5x.284 and buy a barrel every so often. Match shooting seems to be a pretty spendy sport with no cheap substitutes for long range ballistics. I am pretty new but have been reading all I can get my hands( and keyboard!) on. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much better are these other choices then just a Remington .260? If just for fun I can't see the others but if match shooting is the only concern then why try and extend barrel life? Shoot the ultimate 6.5x.284 and buy a barrel every so often. Match shooting seems to be a pretty spendy sport with no cheap substitutes for long range ballistics. I am pretty new but have been reading all I can get my hands( and keyboard!) on. Jeff </div></div>

These other options are much better since a 260 even with VLD's probably won't cycle too good in a long action. The 6.5-06 and the ackly version are very popular in 1000 yard shooting in some southern states. If you want the best combination of performance and bbl life..I'd go with the 6.5x55 or the Ackley version. If you really want to be different...try the 6.5x57. It is just a necked down 7x57. it is a factory loaded round over in Europe. You can use Norma 7x57 brass also. Slightly more case capacity than the Swede.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What velocity can one expect from a 6.5x55 with 140g bullets? </div></div>

Shot the 6.5x55 with 139-142gr bullets in F Class for several years. With my 28" Obermeyer, I was shooting them at 2925-2950fps, same as many 6.5-.284 shooters do.

Don

My 6.5-06 runs right with the 6.5-284's [same basic capacities]and seems to be falling off with the same barrel life as the 6.5-284, as expected.

When I rebarrel it will be a 6.5 X55.
I have several other military M96/38 Swedes that just keep on shooting!...no idea how many rounds through them with no sign of letting up.

FWIW
Wes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">These other options are much better since a 260 even with VLD's probably won't cycle too good in a long action.</span> The 6.5-06 and the ackly version are very popular in 1000 yard shooting in some southern states. If you want the best combination of performance and bbl life..I'd go with the 6.5x55 or the Ackley version. If you really want to be different...try the 6.5x57. It is just a necked down 7x57. it is a factory loaded round over in Europe. You can use Norma 7x57 brass also. Slightly more case capacity than the Swede. </div></div>

I've been wondering about using a long action for 7mm WSM. Do you think the same problem would arise? Is it possible to get a larger bolt stop to make up the difference?

I know of a few shoters who use a LA for short mags and they generally work pretty well. The magazines usually need to be worked a bit though. You CAN change the bolt stop on a M70. A good gunsmith can make a LA work with a short action caliber if you realy want to use a LA.

A big benefit of the 6.5x55 is that Laupa makes some match grade brass that is just great. I bought a case of 500 and started sorting by weight, and just quit in the middle. There wasn't enough variation to make any difference.

I am trying to decide between a 6.5 x 55 AI or just the straight 6.5 x 55 for my next F-class barrel. I think i should be able to shoot with the 6.5 x 284 hopefully with a longer barrel length.

Here's another vote for the underdog...

The 6.5x55 is a great round to work with and has some advantages, as does the AI version...but...

The Swede is historically loaded to lower pressure...it does give longer barrel life at that performance level, but if you drive any 6.5 to the same, or nearly the same velocity, any gain in barrel life will be marginal at best...if any at all.

Consider that you already have brass and dies and a lot of good load data, just working up new loads in the Swede will add extra cost and eat up more of that new barrel than the new chamber will save, if it saves any at all...catch my drift?

Rather than go to all the hassle of changing to a different shape chamber that will perform with the one you are already set up for, and having to buy new dies, brass, etc, just stick with the 6.5x284... it's a better chamber.

If you are looking for a change that will have significantly better barrel life, then make a change that would be meaningful. Go with a smaller chamber if you can live with a little less velocity...or...

Why not just a plain old 284?

It's an excellent LR round that truly benefits from a long action, and is about the same conversion cost as the Swede.

Just some food for thought.

TC

Franksgun001.jpg

6.5 BDC 2nd from left
The 6.5-284 with the shoulder pushed back and long neck.
L-R: 260, 6.5 BDC, 6.5-284, 308

One benefit of the Swede is I have 300 virgin Lapua brass sitting on the shelf. I bought some Swedes (12) when they were inexpensive about 16 years ago and shot quite a bit. The conversion cost is not that bad. I also will be putting it in my SA Stiller Predator (single shot) and remove unfired rounds by pulling the bolt. I have kept track this year and after firing 1,400 rounds with my F-class rig I had to remove unfired rounds 2 times so I do not fing=d that a great hassle.

I have looked hard at the 284 and also the 284 Shehane as they are great performers and meet one of my key requirements I can mod Lapua brass for the round. I like Lapua brass in its native or wildcatted form. I am still a little stuck on the 6.5 mm pills at least to 600 yards. I would probably build a LR rig with a 284 Shehane if I shot at 1,000 yards a lot, and keep a 6.5 for 600 and under.

I have the 6.5x55 chambered in my M70 Winchester long action. The 26" Krieger barrel gives me 2760 fps with 46 grs. of H4831. Re22 has given better velocity, but is temp. sensitive. The beauty of this load in a tactical rifle is that it always puts the rounds where I expect them to be. The 6.5x55 is a very forgiving cartridge, much easier to load than the .308 and the BC of available bullets is much better. We shoot to just under 900 yards at the local range, no problem making hits on steel swingers at that distance.